Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

icebluestang

1969 Mustang Turn Signal Issue

Hello,

I have a issue with my turn signals for my 1969 Mustang. The problem is I don't have a driver's side or passenger side signal at all. So far I checked the two flasher canister's behind the dash on each side of the heater controls. Would it be the cam or is it a wiring issue in the steering column harness? Any help would be appreciated, the inspection is up and I don't feel like using hand signals to make turns.

A little more information:

Thunder Kiss; Do the hazard lights work? Yes

9R03F; Did you check the bulbs? Yes, in another car

bswor; Did they work in the past? Yes

To elaborate on bswor's question. Everything worked, brakes, emergency flashers and turn signals. What happend was while driving I noticed my directionals didn't work and with further inspection...neither did the brake lights.

The brake lights work now because of a new brake switch and a different rear wire harness. The wire harness came out of another 69 and was tested for continuity and with a test light to make sure power flowed. The emergency flashers are working because of I put new cansisters under the dash. The turn signals don't work and here is what I looked at today: The directional lever still clicks (up and down) and the wire harness for the steering column has all the time power on one of the wires for the white clip. Then another has power when the key gets turned on.

I personally don't think it is the cam because for the most part when they go, the turn signals don't turn off. Anyone think differently? I also don't know how many wires in the steering column harness should have power? I am kind of thinking the steering cam is not getting power.

Any info would be appreciated. I also exhausted scenarios by looking at previous posts by other members.

Yesterday I checked the fuse box under the dash and I didn't find any loose wires or a frayed wire.

If I press the brake pedal, with both taillights working and then I use my turn signal on the steering column the turn signal I use makes the tail light go out. This concept is the same when the turn signal is clicked for the other side. I have a hitch its a short somewhere.

I finally got my turn signal switch issue resolved. With a little effort and exhausting all of the possibilities it ended up being the steering wheel cam. The contacts didn't touch anymore. With a replacement installed I am ready to get it inspected tomorrow and get cruising this weekend!!!!