Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

d.reese

Batteries and Trunks - don't mix

Classic Alert! Ok its time to dig out the next project,see before pic's! I know there are no goat lovers here and would not dream of trying to change anybodys opinion.

One thing I think all can agree on is by looking at the pic's that a single battery in the trunk can cause major cancer. Ever wonder why golf carts are made of fiberglass? Notice the battery was on drivers side next to electric fuel pump, reminds me of time sitting in house ( 14 / 15 yrs old) loud explosion, old man came running in with eyes in pain. He was smooking and working on a car battery. Fuel pump/spark? Check out how it (acid) eat at the tail panel. The trunk lid had eaten completly threw both inner and outer panels.The fumes rose and ate at the rear filler panel. Will post pic'sd after cured of cancer. No time table, this will be fun to bring one back to life.

Thank god there is new battery technology such as the Optima which are sealed! My FGT has one under the hood mounted to aluminum and magnesium rails...... Just have to worry about overcharging or fast charging which causes them to blow up!

Classic Alert! Ok its time to dig out the next project,see before pic's! I know there are no goat lovers here and would not dream of trying to change anybodys opinion.

One thing I think all can agree on is by looking at the pic's that a single battery in the trunk can cause major cancer. Ever wonder why golf carts are made of fiberglass? Notice the battery was on drivers side next to electric fuel pump, reminds me of time sitting in house ( 14 / 15 yrs old) loud explosion, old man came running in with eyes in pain. He was smooking and working on a car battery. Fuel pump/spark? Check out how it (acid) eat at the tail panel. The trunk lid had eaten completly threw both inner and outer panels.The fumes rose and ate at the rear filler panel. Will post pic'sd after cured of cancer. No time table, this will be fun to bring one back to life.

ummm, uh humh you said goat lover...ummm-ummmm huh huh you goat lover!!!!

LOL, actually i really like the old GTO's, i would love to have a 67 goat with a 428 tri-power, that would be a cool car. i knew a guy in austin who had a 70 judge he'd put a 428 tri-power in it was wicked fast and that sound from the three carbs sucking air was awesome.

A. I love goats. I used to have a '70. Wish I still had it.

B. The guy was an idiot for smoking around a battery. That is a basic auto shop no-no. Wouldn't have mattered where the battery was.

Russ

B. The guy was an idiot for smoking around a battery. That is a basic auto shop no-no. Wouldn't have mattered where the battery was.

Russ

Yeah, acid batteries release hydrogen as I recall. Booom... :scared:

Optima rules.

Hey russ69 coupe hope you agree with my intent to warn all of the two issues I have found out about Batteries in my short life. That idiot was my dad and a life long mechanic! I left out that was 1967 or 68 and he's no longer here to ask if that was the rule of thumb or basic auto shop no-no back then. One thing I'm allmost certain of as he ran in the house, I could hear him screeming " I'm an IDIOT! I also know if he were hear today he would agree he was an Idiot at the time. Having fun spreeding some do's and don'ts out there, glad you got in here on this one!

You're right to want to warn people about things, not a problem there.

People who know better are usually the ones who have the accidents. They seem to think that it can't happen to them. I have been one of them. :-) Fortunately all minor type stuff, nothing life threatening.

I put the battery in the trunk of my 70 GTO when I had it back in the 80's. I used a marine type battery box, and ran 2 hoses from the box (one on each end)through the trunk floor for battery ventillation. Never had a problem with it. The best part was having someone ask for a jumpstart and seeing their face when I opened the trunk.

Wow, look at that fuel pump mounted inside the car. Not a good idea, especially on a car with no firewall between the trunk and passenger compartment.

I love old Pontiacs, in addition to my 69 Mustang, I've got a 67 Firebird.