Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cupid

Transformers

GO SEE IT!!! :punk: My wife and I attended a sneak preview last night. There is a lot of violence in the movie so you may not want to take your kids, but the movie was definitely worth the 20 year wait!

I must warn you now, General Motors and the Air Force must have paid Michael Bay and Stephen a pretty penny because it was one big commerical for them both. Devastator, formerly known as Brawl was one of my favorite characters....you see why! :2guns:

I'm going to go see it Thursday with some friends, cant wait!

Nice avatar btw, i recently watched every episode in the span of like 2 weeks, great show.

I too have been waiting over 20 years for this movie and when I heard they were finally going to make it I was really excited. After having seen all the previews and data online though I have a sick feeling that the only way I am going to even remotely enjoy this movie now is if I mentally try and detach it from everything I know and love about the original "robots in disguise" series.

I totally get that they pretty much feel compelled to make them look like they could actually physically exist instead of more true to the series ie: going from a normal size hand gun or cassette player to a 30 foot robot, but I am not crazy about the way they have completely redesigned everything. OK, so they don't want to make the Autobots a bunch of vehicles that were popular in the 80's, fine, but couldn't Bumble Bee still be a VW bug? Why a Camaro of all things? I think I could have enjoyed it more if they had just gone and changed all the names as well so it left no shred a familiarity to it at all.

Cupids favorite is a perfect example. As I remember Brawl was little more than a leg for Bruticus when combined but Devastator was a kick ass combined form of the constructicons, the first of his kind, he ruled.

My favorite was always Soundwave but fat chance of that one ever making the big screen. Most kids won't even know what a cassette player is and trying to get Lazer Beak, Ravage or Rumble to convert from a CD or digital MP3 file would be impossible.

I think my biggest hope for this move right now is that it is popular at least for all the wrong reasons so that they finally release the entire original series on DVD so I can at least enjoy that. My VCR tape of the original animated movie is getting pretty fuzzy to stand when I need of fix of the real thing.:wacko:

I too have been waiting over 20 years for this movie and when I heard they were finally going to make it I was really excited. After having seen all the previews and data online though I have a sick feeling that the only way I am going to even remotely enjoy this movie now is if I mentally try and detach it from everything I know and love about the original "robots in disguise" series.

I totally get that they pretty much feel compelled to make them look like they could actually physically exist instead of more true to the series ie: going from a normal size hand gun or cassette player to a 30 foot robot, but I am not crazy about the way they have completely redesigned everything. OK, so they don't want to make the Autobots a bunch of vehicles that were popular in the 80's, fine, but couldn't Bumble Bee still be a VW bug? Why a Camaro of all things? I think I could have enjoyed it more if they had just gone and changed all the names as well so it left no shred a familiarity to it at all.

Cupids favorite is a perfect example. As I remember Brawl was little more than a leg for Bruticus when combined but Devastator was a kick ass combined form of the constructicons, the first of his kind, he ruled.

My favorite was always Soundwave but fat chance of that one ever making the big screen. Most kids won't even know what a cassette player is and trying to get Lazer Beak, Ravage or Rumble to convert from a CD or digital MP3 file would be impossible.

I think my biggest hope for this move right now is that it is popular at least for all the wrong reasons so that they finally release the entire original series on DVD so I can at least enjoy that. My VCR tape of the original animated movie is getting pretty fuzzy to stand when I need of fix of the real thing.:wacko:

hey at least optimus prime is still a big rig. i always thought bumble bee should have been a 68 or 69 super bee anyway so they should have used one of those or a new dodge rumble bee pickup. of all the previews i've seen its really pretty cool and i really want to see it.

hey at least they aren't robot animals like the newest series.....they were pretty cool but most of them still had original names

I just saw it tonight and you won't be dissappointed, I was expecting a human movie with some robots but I was way wrong, definetly a transformers all the way movie and the characters were pretty true to the original story, tons of action and great CGIs.

BTW, VW didn't want their vehicles associated with a violent movie like this, that's why they didn't have BB as a bug, GM on the other hand, didn't care, Barricade (07 Mustang police car) was pretty awesome :).

Yeah, you could actually hear the supercharger "wind up" in a lot of scenes. My previous post stated his name was Devastator, I was wrong, it's Barricade. I think that's a more suitable name anyway! Although it would have been way cool if he was a Lamborghini.....

Nice avatar btw, i recently watched every episode in the span of like 2 weeks, great show.

Thanks. I can remember watching BSG as a kid in the early 80's. I'm definitely a huge fan! It's addicting isn't it?:001_tongue: Next Tuesday, there will be a sneak peak during the Eureka season premier.

Yeah, you could actually hear the supercharger "wind up" in a lot of scenes. My previous post stated his name was Devastator, I was wrong, it's Barricade. I think that's a more suitable name anyway! Although it would have been way cool if he was a Lamborghini.....

I don't think there ever was a Lambo police car though either, was there? I remember side swipe, sunstreaker and red alert being Lambo's. I remember one police car that I think was like a Datsun 280z named Prowl but that's it.

Anyone still have any of these toys from being a kid? I went hunting for mine in the basement the other night and found a whole bunch of 'em.

man while you young kids were watching skeletor, gi joe and transformers us older kids were watching battle of the planets and the rat patrol and hoping the afterschool special was christine or american grafitti or even bullitt and waiting for this months copy of hot rod, car craft and popular hotrodding and building motorized models coast guard and vietnam era gunship UH-1 Huey's:tank:

Uh Pak, you know I love you and all, but did you ever get out of the house between '83-'86? Of course, then again, I was always a G.I. Joe kid... you know, the Real American Hero.

Lol, sure I did when I wasn't being grounded, just before and after my favorite toons. I always had a passion for animation, heck if I had the choice that is what I would be doing with my life right now.

Oh and B, while I watched Battle of the Planets too, you should know that it was targeted to a much younger audience than you old kids, just FYI.:001_tongue:

Lol, sure I did when I wasn't being grounded, just before and after my favorite toons. I always had a passion for animation, heck if I had the choice that is what I would be doing with my life right now.

Oh and B, while I watched Battle of the Planets too, you should know that it was targeted to a much younger audience than you old kids, just FYI.:001_tongue:

Hey! I'm 34 you know... old enough to know better, but still too young to care! But I'm with you on the animated stuff. Being a military brat with an older brother and born in Okinawa, I started watching Japanese animated shows when I was kid. In fact, I didn't see an Americanized animated show until we moved to the states in '80. In fact, I remember watching Speed Racer (in Japanese) when I was very very very young. And I remember being very confused seeing "Battle of the Planets" when we moved to the states because I'd seen the Japanese version of the same thing before. I also remember loving Star Blazers and early Gundam and eventually Robotech. Again, with an older brother who was into cars, I quit all that stuff and started wrenching with him. But he still took me to see Akira in a theatre when it came out. Thank god for older brothers!

You know, now that I think about it, I remember being disappointed for years and years, even into my early years of college that we didn't get the good anime here. Then around 2000, thanks to the internet I finally noticed I could order or download anime. Now I'm just disappointed with the lack of quality of the anime in comparison to some of the classics (and no, I'm not including Speed Racer in that).

Lucky Boy, that means you got to grow up with unedited versions. You got to see big snot bubbles coming from the noses of the Racer family when they would fall a sleep and see all the violence on Gatchaman aka BOTP and without that annoying R2D2 added ripoff of a robot 7 zark 7. I got to see most of these much later in life during my tavels thru Asia and they tainted me somewhat from what I grew up with.

Before Transformers the best thing going was a show called Force Five but I think you had to live in New England or Canada to see it in english. It was a mini show made up of five different series, one shown on each day of the week and four of them were of the giant fighting robot persuasion. Man I though that show ruled as a kid.

http://web.mit.edu/sseligma/www/force5.html

Lucky Boy, that means you got to grow up with unedited versions. You got to see big snot bubbles coming from the noses of the Racer family when they would fall a sleep and see all the violence on Gatchaman aka BOTP and without that annoying R2D2 added ripoff of a robot 7 zark 7. I got to see most of these much later in life during my tavels thru Asia and they tainted me somewhat from what I grew up with.

Ya know, I don't remember them being all that violent or crude, but I might just have been too young to be bothered by it. And lets not forget it was different time and it was all cartoon violence. It wasn't live action and we didn't have video games that allowed us to perpetrate virtual violence towards others. No, we had to go out and get hit back. Still, it might explain why I've never been bothered by violence in movies or TV.