Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

d.reese

New 3:50 9" CHUNK BREAK IN?

Just got my new 3:50 possi 3rd member. Does anyone have or know the correct break in proceedure for doing break in on jack stands? I have heard its like an engine break in?

Will have a used 71,000 mile 9"-2:78 0r 3:00 open for sale if interested!Taking offers! I know its 65.00 to ship to any ware in the 48 states.

I think it goes something like drive gently until you reach operating temperature head back home and park it up and let the diff go stone cold,then next day drive it as you would break the motor in.javed

I don't think you can break it in on jackstands due to the fact that there is no load. I just redid my center with truetrac and Richmond 3.73s. The Richmond literature said to drive the car 10 miles and then park it overnight, twice. Then they said it should be good to go. Last week, after about 500 miles on the unit, I dropped the fluid and filled it with Redline synthetic. I'd prefer not to have to go back in again in my lifetime.

My Moser 9" and 3.90 gears required a 10 minute break in on the lift to check operation and leakage. Then a 10~15 mile drive at varying speeds with no 4k shifts and then sit until cold.

Funny thing though in the manual it stated;

Racing application:

1. Fill

2. Pull to the line

GSXRKEN - that's why you get a fill and drain plug installed.... Don't you have a Tremec TKO600? I've worked through my issues with the one I installed. Only issue now is it's sometimes difficult to get into 2nd on hard shifts. I've been told to go to a shorter throw. Right now I have a Hurst shaft on it.

Thanks to all of ya'll. I will be waiting until car is back together to do the break in. I wanted to break in like we did the dirt modified, on the stands. I believe the group answer is the way to go and will follow the instructions. Thanks again.