Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krisfrego

69 GT with 302???

I just looked through my 1969 Mustang Brochure, and it lists five available Engines for the GT. The 250 HP 2bbl and 290 Hp 4bbl 351 V8's. The 390CI V8, and both of the 428CI V8's, but no mention of the 302 being a Factory Option.

Does anyone know if ford made any GT's with a 302 motor?

Not in 1969 as stated above. Check the VIN, if it says "F" then it's not a real GT. If it say "H (351-2V),M (351-4V), S (390-4V), Q (428-4V non-Ram Air), or R (428-4V Ram Air)", then it could be a real GT with a non-stock engine.

the 69 GT also had the heavy duty/competition suspension which was not avaliable on a standard 302-2v car. also had the hood scoop, hood pins, styled steel (12 slot) wheels with GT center caps, 69 only GT specific pop open gas cap and dual exhaust with quad tips on 351 4V and larger engines (not available on the 351 2v), i believe that all GT's also came equipped with the visibilty group, which inlcuded underdash courtesy lights, map light, trunk light and parking brake warning lamp mounted on lower dash. i could be wrong on the visibilty group option but every true 69 GT i've ever seen had this option. also rear spring rates (and possibly front) were specfic to the GT option as well.

if the car is a true GT and an early production car it will most likely have a cut out in the hood under the scoop. most early production GT's i've seen had this cutout, though apparently not all of them did,and when the supply of these hoods was gone they started using regular flat hoods with the scoop and pins and not cutout. apparently ford had planned on making the GT's available with standard ram air but didn't follow through, possibly because they came out with the shaker option and charged extra for it or they had a supplier problem, nobody knows for sure and probably never will but i suspect it was because of the extra cost option shaker hood.