Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MloYlo2001

1969 Hood Question

I'm new here, so hello all and thanks in advance for any help. I recently bought a 69 coupe and I was wondering about the cutouts underneath. I used to have a 69 Grande that had the Mach 1 type hood scoop and the twist locks. Can I just have someone cut out the proper holes, or do I need to find a hood that already has the holes pre-cut? I really liked the scoop and twist-lock look :001_cool:

The holes can be cut into the hood, it's not difficult to do, just make sure you measure twice and cut once, everything needs to be lined up properly or it's easy to make things look off center

Just cut hole for hood pins and scoop recently. For pins I used a large drill bit. Probably should use hole saw (attachs to your drill) just have not had much luck with them on metal. For hood used sabre saw with medium cut blades - was ble to get niuce circle with those - had the hood off since I was painting it - much easier to saw hole that way. Just put some masking tape down where base of the saw will be go over so you don't scratch paint. Also, measure twice cut once as bulling said. Good luck - pretty easy to do.

The '69 hoods are differant than the 1970s. If you are going to put in "twist locks" as opposed to the 69 style pins, be sure to radius the inner frame of the hood to clear the twist lock mounting bracket. The holes look similar from 69 to 70, but the 70 had oval holes in the frame.

Is there a template that shows where to cut for the twist locks? I'm going to be installing these soon too.

On the underside of the hood, there are outlines of the holes for the twist locks and for the hood scoops