Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

musman

Sandblast cabinet

Should work fine. I have been looking at one as well.

In the past I just used a big clear plastic storage tub, cut a hole for a shop vac hookup and a hole to stick my arm in. Used a piece of glass over a hole in the top and worked from there. I use it outside in the driveway though since it is not sealed and I make sure I always use a mask due to the nasty things blasted sand can do to your lungs.

Those should be nice for smaller items, brackets, etc. I didn't see how that one is vented. Does it use it's own fan or a shop vac?

-Stephen

Should work good if you have the compressor to run it.

I have a simialar unit. Works good, my only complaint is the venting. The filters clog up way too quickly which ends up causing the dust/air to escape from around the door seal. Gets me dirty, and after doing a larger part I end up with a coating of dust over everything in the garage.

i have one of the little harbor freight ones that everything goes in from the top, the cheapest one they have, and it works ok. i figured out a way to keep the dust down by putting a large towel around the top opening panel, it actually work really well that way, it would work even better if i could run my shop vac at the same time but house is so old that it pops the breaker everytime i run the compressor and the shop vac at the same time.

the one you linked to is a much nicer unit with doors on both ends and i'm sure it uses a shop vac for ventilation as well. if you can afford a cheap dust collector system that would be the better way to go but a shop vac should do just fine.

it would work even better if i could run my shop vac at the same time but house is so old that it pops the breaker everytime i run the compressor and the shop vac at the same time.

I have the same issue but I never keep using my compressor while it's running so I just use one at a time. Run the compressor, turn it off, start the shop vac, sandblast until there is not enough pressure, shut shop vac off, turn on compressor, repeat. Flipping a couple of switches every 15 min is alot better than all that dust.

I'll probably get that one, i konow it has it's own cone filter on the side, but it doesn't say anything about any hook up for a shop vac.....i do have a big compressor to run it, that's not an issue....i just want something smaller than the one i have right now, which is a homemade rectangle plywood box (5x2x2), with a plexi glass sitting on top.....i even a light inside, and i had reinforced the inside with soft metal sheets where the sand blasted all the time...nice piece but too big, had to leave it outside all the time....

I have the same issue but I never keep using my compressor while it's running so I just use one at a time. Run the compressor, turn it off, start the shop vac, sandblast until there is not enough pressure, shut shop vac off, turn on compressor, repeat. Flipping a couple of switches every 15 min is alot better than all that dust.

yeah but your compressor has like twice the capacity mine does

Just got one yesterday, it an unknown brand made in China(as always), but it's just like the Grizzli one i posted....works fine, my first project was the snorkel for the shaker....now i have to paint it Ford blue....