Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hemi Hunter

My father gave me a 428 and C-6 but will it fit???

My dad has a 66 t-bird with a 428 and C-6 tranny he parted out and asked me if I wanted to try and drop it into my 69 stang convertable thats currently got a 70' 351C 2V and a C-4. Its dying for a rebuild but before I invest does anyone know if the 428 block can take 69 stang motor mounts and just bolt in? I'm guessing I need a different trany cross member for the C-6 vs C-4 but has anyone tried this swap with a later model FE motors?

If it won't fit yours it will fit mine some how! Seriously would you sell me the 351C? d,reese555@yahoo.com

You'll be first in line if I can pull this off ~ It may be a few months only because the 428 needs a rebuild and I'm thinking about doing the same to the tranny since its out, but short on cash - I blew it all rebuilding the Cleveland (go figure). Regardless, I need to make sure it works first.

I heard I might need big block shock towers too ~ done lots of small block swaps but never gone with an FE. Want to be sure I know what I'm getting into.

Heh, well if you're broke, FEs aren't the direction to be going, lol.

Well, a rebuild won't be that expensive if everything is still good on it (assuming gasket kit, bearings, rings and a bit of machine shopping). You have headers for it already? What kind of intake do you have (if you have an aluminum PI, you should be good to go)? Those are the really important things on an FE to get it breathing (and each can run you $300 or more, depending on what you want).

Don't know about the shock towers...I don't have any experience with the upgrading...mine came pre-upgraded, hehe. I know mine have a reinforcement plate inside the shock towers in the engine bay, not sure if that's a big-block-only part or not.

Keep us updated. =)

Heh, well if you're broke, FEs aren't the direction to be going, lol.

Well, a rebuild won't be that expensive if everything is still good on it (assuming gasket kit, bearings, rings and a bit of machine shopping). You have headers for it already? What kind of intake do you have (if you have an aluminum PI, you should be good to go)? Those are the really important things on an FE to get it breathing (and each can run you $300 or more, depending on what you want).

Don't know about the shock towers...I don't have any experience with the upgrading...mine came pre-upgraded, hehe. I know mine have a reinforcement plate inside the shock towers in the engine bay, not sure if that's a big-block-only part or not.

Keep us updated. =)

Right now the whole engine is bone stock right from the oil pan to the fomoco carb. Runs fine in the T-Bird. Car has about 110K on it TBird stock 428 motor is rated at 345hp based on web visits. I figure a few more ponies given headers and a mild cam but other than that simply going to rebuild her stock (rings, gaskets, etc)

I'll keep everyone updated ~ just took a look a the motor mounts earlier today and on ebay. Looks as though it may work but still kind of hard to tell.

Right now the whole engine is bone stock right from the oil pan to the fomoco carb. Runs fine in the T-Bird. Car has about 110K on it TBird stock 428 motor is rated at 345hp based on web visits. I figure a few more ponies given headers and a mild cam but other than that simply going to rebuild her stock (rings, gaskets, etc)

I'll keep everyone updated ~ just took a look a the motor mounts earlier today and on ebay. Looks as though it may work but still kind of hard to tell.

Sorry if I came off as one of those "you need to upgrade" guys. :turned: I know that when I was talking about rebuilding my 390, I can't count how many times I heard "you need to stroke that thing to a 410!" and it annoyed the bejeezes out of me, hehe. All I wanted to do was rebuild what I had and keep it as cheap as I could since I wasn't expecting to have to rebuild anyway.

You sound like you're new to FEs, so wasn't sure if you were aware of some of its quirks (like I mentioned above, the lack of breathing due to some really crappy stock intakes and restrictive exhaust manifolds).

Since the headers/exhaust from the T-Bird probably won't work, it sounds like you're already in for a set of headers. I would recommend the Hooker Super Comps (6114s), but they're gonna set you back $400 (and they're the cheapest). They sound great, though. :devil:

Now, on your intake, not sure what you have. Some stock ones on the 428 were really good, like the 428 PI Aluminum. If you're not looking to keep the stock look, the best bang for the buck is the Edelbrock Performer RPM, gotten for around $280 or so. The drawback to that, though, is that it's a dual-plane, and will be a problem in the future if you ever want to put a shaker on that engine (and the carb mount is 1" back from stock location, so if you're cutting a hood, you'll need to cut in a non-standard location). There are some great single-plane ones out there you can get for ~$150 if you are patient, like the Edelbrock Streetmaster, the Edelbrock F427 and the Holley Street Dominator (all of which are shaker-friendly). Here's a link to the results by a guy named Jay Brown (a '69 Mach 1 guy, btw) over on the FordFE.com forums who did a dyno test of all the common intakes on his mule 390 (scroll down for the charted results):

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1171831845/

Overall, I hope you go through with the swap. Even if you keep it stock-ish, you'll be very happy with the end result. It's amazing how much attention your car gets with a Big Block under the hood at the local cruise-ins, no matter how far away from "show condition" your car is. And nothing, NOTHING, sounds like an FE. :devil:

Besides, I need another FE buddy around here to offset all these Windsor Bigots!

BB shock towers are not mandatory but I would brace them up using one of the many kits. Also the frame brackets for the motor mounts are different than a SB, yours can be re-drilled. also the trans cross-member has unique bracing, but yours can be strengthened. Headers are easy, hooker or FPA.

Would I do it??? Nope! You will have just as much fun with the Cleavland. Also it will be much easier to change plugs & will weigh less. I have an R code so it will be going back together with a 428CJ, only with an aluminum top end to reduce weight & performance.

Mike

Sorry if I came off as one of those "you need to upgrade" guys. :turned: I know that when I was talking about rebuilding my 390, I can't count how many times I heard "you need to stroke that thing to a 410!" and it annoyed the bejeezes out of me, hehe. All I wanted to do was rebuild what I had and keep it as cheap as I could since I wasn't expecting to have to rebuild anyway.

You sound like you're new to FEs, so wasn't sure if you were aware of some of its quirks (like I mentioned above, the lack of breathing due to some really crappy stock intakes and restrictive exhaust manifolds).

Since the headers/exhaust from the T-Bird probably won't work, it sounds like you're already in for a set of headers. I would recommend the Hooker Super Comps (6114s), but they're gonna set you back $400 (and they're the cheapest). They sound great, though. :devil:

Now, on your intake, not sure what you have. Some stock ones on the 428 were really good, like the 428 PI Aluminum. If you're not looking to keep the stock look, the best bang for the buck is the Edelbrock Performer RPM, gotten for around $280 or so. The drawback to that, though, is that it's a dual-plane, and will be a problem in the future if you ever want to put a shaker on that engine (and the carb mount is 1" back from stock location, so if you're cutting a hood, you'll need to cut in a non-standard location). There are some great single-plane ones out there you can get for ~$150 if you are patient, like the Edelbrock Streetmaster, the Edelbrock F427 and the Holley Street Dominator (all of which are shaker-friendly). Here's a link to the results by a guy named Jay Brown (a '69 Mach 1 guy, btw) over on the FordFE.com forums who did a dyno test of all the common intakes on his mule 390 (scroll down for the charted results):

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1171831845/

Overall, I hope you go through with the swap. Even if you keep it stock-ish, you'll be very happy with the end result. It's amazing how much attention your car gets with a Big Block under the hood at the local cruise-ins, no matter how far away from "show condition" your car is. And nothing, NOTHING, sounds like an FE. :devil:

Besides, I need another FE buddy around here to offset all these Windsor Bigots!

Thanks for the info. Yeah I'm gonna give it a shot. The car is supposed to be for fun so what the hell esp since it will be a 428 convert. (all this for those little flashy hood scoop badges too)

So a lot of windsor guys on lpost eh? I guess thats one way to go since theres so many out there and easy pickens for the smaller performance stuff I guess. I prefer Clevelands to windsors myself so I guess that why I'm more inclined to lean toward the FEs/Big Blocks.

Thanks Again!

BB shock towers are not mandatory but I would brace them up using one of the many kits. Also the frame brackets for the motor mounts are different than a SB, yours can be re-drilled. also the trans cross-member has unique bracing, but yours can be strengthened. Headers are easy, hooker or FPA.

Would I do it??? Nope! You will have just as much fun with the Cleavland. Also it will be much easier to change plugs & will weigh less. I have an R code so it will be going back together with a 428CJ, only with an aluminum top end to reduce weight & performance.

Mike

Thanks for the info! I think I"m making the plunge though so I'll take it all to heart. Know where the shock tower kits can be had?