Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carguy960

Hood Scoop advice

I have a 69 Fastback with a 393 Stroker Windsor. I need to do something with my hood the previous owner cut a small hole in the hood, because of the taller Victor JR intake.

I have 3 Ideas

1. Putting a 429 Boss hood scoop with a ram air set-up. Painted bright red to match. with a 351 Boss sticker on the fender :drool:

2. Shaker hood scoop.

3. The smaller stock 69 scoop. Painted bright red to match.

Please give some feedback with your thoughts and where I can get the parts I'll need.

Stroke it or Squirt it!:taz:

any of the mustang parts suppliers will have repros of all of the above scoops. personally i'd with the Mach 1/GT style scoop for a few reasons, number one: i'm partial to those scoops and they just look "right" on a 69/70. number two: the boss '9 scoop is just too big and doesn't look right on anything but a real boss '9 IMO.

number three: you'll have clearance issues trying to use a shaker scoop if you have a taller aftermarket intake, generally they will hit the hood.

Once he puts a scoop on, whats the best way to make it "functional" ram air. What other parts do you need to make the seal and whatnot? I ask because i had to cut a whole in my hood for clearance and would like to know how to go about making a seal for it... Any ideas?

Once he puts a scoop on, whats the best way to make it "functional" ram air. What other parts do you need to make the seal and whatnot? I ask because i had to cut a whole in my hood for clearance and would like to know how to go about making a seal for it... Any ideas?

there are several threads on that subject already on the next page.

I say buy a fiberglass boss scoop then cut it in half and remove about 1/2-1 from each side then glass it back together and call it a day. Actually I think I might do that when the time comes.

I say buy a fiberglass boss scoop then cut it in half and remove about 1/2-1 from each side then glass it back together and call it a day. Actually I think I might do that when the time comes.

That actually sound cool, any pictures on the web of one done like that?

I opted to go with a shaker hood. I had the original hood scoop with integrated turn signals. I had a shop cut the opening with the standard template and went with an aftermarket fiberglass shaker hood. It is great!!

Errr, looking at the thread now it looks like it was BlackGMC that was talking about doing that to the 9 scoop, not bnickel. Sorry for the misattribute. =)

I'm really wanting a shaker, but I have an Ebrock Performer RPM, which is not only taller, but sits the carb mount back 1" from stock...which means the hole would have to be cut in a non-stock location. Which makes even me squeamish.

I just know one day I'd swap intakes and be screwed, hehe.

Ford Ram Air (Leon Grice) makes really nice repro shakers, i just got the shaker base for my 351W, i had a Cleveland base so had to find one quickly, so i went with him.....later i may stumble upon the real thing.....e-bay is out of the question, people are asking the sky for everything....