Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69_302RustangFB

Finally found a 302 worth buying

Wow, haven't been on the forums for a while. Too busy with work. Any ways good news is I finally found a good running replacement 302 engine for my mustang. A co-worker of mine had it in his project mustang for a while and decided that he wanted a 351 instead. It's already set up with pretty much everything I wanted to put on a 302. Has 4v Carter Competition Series Carb with Stealth intake manifold. Unilite Digital electronic ignition, freshly rebuilt heads and a couple other dress up goodies. Block has never been bored over and engine has less then 80 thousand mile on it. Not bad for a late 68 era engine. When I found out his asking price for the complete engine I couldn't resist. the engine sat for a couple of years after he pulled it so he suggested replacing some of the gaskets and stuff and check it through good before installing it. I do have one question that I hope some one could help me out with. Looking at the pistons I'm not sure if they are original or aftermarket, didn't know if anyone could tell from these photos. I'll post some up dates as I get closer to dropping it into the car

I'd need to see it with the heads off to tell for sure about the pistons but it does look like it's a Mexican block so that's a bonus!:rockon:

True.. I was looking at the pistons and didn't even see the main caps. Nice

-Stephen

Well, it's easy for me at a glance because I have one too. The immediate tell tale sign are the round bosses that protrude out from the block casting like a couple of errect nipples, right below the cylinder heads. Not visable in his picture but I'm sure the valley under the intake will also say "Hecho en Mexico" and lastly would be the casting number which would be different than a typical one and read C8AM or C6AM.

Mexican blocks are usually only found in certain San Jose cars. Of all the 302 blocks you could look to build they are about the best. Aside from the wider main bearing caps they have a much higher nickel content than a US block making them stronger and more desirable. Even if the block was worn out you would want to line bore, hone and reuse the main bearing caps for sure on a more workable block.

so is it possible my lowly little coupe has a mexican block, its a San Jose built 302 car, 0R01F. ive never really had the motor torn down to check, but im definetly checking now