Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DSW69

Windsor or FE?

Hey guys first post and was needing some advice. I have a 69 mach M code car that came with a 4 speed and presently has a 351 W -2v ,FMX ,ps & pwdiscs, 3.25 limited slip rear end. I was planning on pulling the engine and tranny, and rebuilding the 351 with 4v and with a T-5. My dad has a 410 FE merc. motor in the shop that has no home, and 427 aluminum 4V intake and 428 cobrajet heads that could be used as well. I believe that set up would be pretty darn close to 428 cobrajet power. My question is how much trouble is it to convert to a big block? I don't think a T-5 would suffice, and not sure if 351W shock towers, springs, power steering, rear end, starter, radiator, etc will work. Big block would be nice, but not sure if it's worth it.

The rebuild of the 351w would be less expensive. The FE install would need, new coil springs, large shaft toploader or TKO500/TKO600, clutch cable or hyd clutch kit, special transmission mount, radiator, motor mount kit for FE in a 69/70 and probably a new driveshaft. You'll probably need special headers and new exhaust too. The 9" rear-end should hold up.

Go for it Dude!

Your 351W can be rebuilt to have as much power as the FE and still be on a reasonable budget. I just put a 390 back in my 69 Mach 1 S code car, after it had been replaced with a 351w long ago. There was a LOT of different pieces. I had a complete parts car and still had to order tons of stuff from catalogs and specialty vendors. I'd stick with what you have, and maybe sell the FE stuff as that could fund a nice performance build on your 351.

Also, the shock towers do not need cut unless you put in a true BOSS 429 or a Modular engine.

FE and 385 series BBs will drop right in. Now installing headers in-place of the cast-iron exhaust manifolds might be a little tricky...or $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I leaned all this at www.1969stang.com :biggrin:

FE and 385 series BBs will drop right in. Now installing headers in-place of the cast-iron exhaust manifolds might be a little tricky...or $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

No kidding. If you go that route, do yourself a HUGE favor...assemble the engine, transmission, starter and headers OUTSIDE of the car, and drop them in as one unit. With Power Steering, you'll need to drop down some of the linkage, but it's worth that little hassle. Just jack the ass of the car up as high as your jackstands will go and it can be installed by one person in an hour.

That 410 sounds awesome, though. It'd be a shame not to run it. The big problem with FEs was breathing. If you have that nice 427 aluminum intake and CJ Heads, all you need to really wake that thing up is a set of headers (one of the guys over on the FordFE forums just ran a performance test of headers, and the Hooker Super Comps scored as a real bargain).

No kidding. If you go that route, do yourself a HUGE favor...assemble the engine, transmission, starter and headers OUTSIDE of the car, and drop them in as one unit.

From my understanding, it's better to leave the headers off and tied up against the shock towers before you lower the engine in. The last thing you do is hook up the headers. I'm talking about Hooker Super Comp long type headers. Shortie headers and factory iron manifolds might go in with the motor.

Good luck, Man!

The windsor will be lighter and rev a lot easier. You will give up some torque but the better decision in my opinion. The 408m sounds great but the fe's are a lot heavier and don't like to rev as much. Great stump pulling torque but sometimes run HOT. Tough decision but I vote 351 with performabce goodies. Just my .02