Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cupid

Water Pump Identification ?

Okay,

I had been having small problems with cooling on the Stang. I decided to freshen up the cooling system by replacing the WP, hose, performing a flush-n-fill, replacing the t-stat(which it didn't have), etc.

Problem: my WP is different from what's available at local parts stores.

I originally thought they gave me a pump for a Windsor, but the Cleveland part number is the same.

Differences:

Backing plate(I know this can come off---don't know if it should)

Bolt holes:

a) Mine has to inlet bolts, the new one has only one

b) Bolt on middle of the new pump-no bolt on the middle of mine(more like upper inlet--see pic)

c) Mine had some type of temperature sender on it that was not used--new one has to heater hose hookup. Problem: My heater hose hooks up to the top of my block.

What gives? Is this a newer pump that will work if I take the backing plate off? Do I cap off my heater hose hookup on the block and use the two heater hose hookups on the new WP?

wptopview.jpg

wpheaterrtnhose.jpg

wpbackplate.jpg

im not real famiular with clevelands only one i ever owned was 18 years ago but those pumps arent the same wont /cant be made to work unless you want to drill some bolt holes , are you sure you have a cleveland? are you sure they didnt give you one for a 351 modified? can you go to another parts store to see if what they have is the same ?

*lol* I was thinking the same thing! I got the pump from Auto Zone. I thought it was wrong so I went to Kragen. They pulled out the *exact* same pump. This is when I asked for one for a Windsor....the same part number popped up. I don't think this is a Modified, but it can be...*sigh* I just assumed it was the original motor. I don't know too much about modifieds. I just thought they had slightly different heads????

Well that engine in the picture is certainly a 351C. I think you have the wrong W/P. And even if it was a M the water pump should still work if it's for a C - what you have does not look like my W/P but I have an Edelbrook Victor Jr high flow Aluminum WP. Also, your heater hoses go - one to the pump and one to the block.

Here's my pump at Summit

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=EDL%2D8849&N=700+115&autoview=sku

edl-8849.jpg

Thanks Coz. That's a pretty hefty penny you paid for that WP! It sure is purty...

I actually went back to Auto Zone to take the WP back. Just for kicks, I had the guy go through every engine listed under 1970 Mustang. I was getting pretty ticked until he asked me if I had a BOSS engine. I told him nope and was about to walk off until he insisted on checking anyway. Exactly 30 seconds later...

Voila`! BOSS 302 water pump it is!:rockon: I tried to educate him by explaining why there's no way my engine is a B 302 and he might want to check his computer system. He looked at me so funny so I took the water pump and was on my way.

Last question: What's the little thingy with two vacuum lines connected to it. Mine wasn't hooked up so I haven't a clue as to what to do with them.

something is definitely wrong with their numbering system or it could be the manufacturer has the wrong numbers listed in their catalog. being as that it was that way at autozone and kragen i'd guess it was the manufacturers catalog lilsting.

if he happened to look it up for a 71 boss it would be the same pump but not for a 70 boss.

it's more likely that someone input the listing for a 351w rather than the 351c

Anybody have the torque specs for this water pump? I've got about 5 books and none of them have the specs. I realllllly need to get a set of shop manuals. Also does anybody know what that vacuum thingy is that sticks out the side of my water pump(look at the first picture). It wasn't hooked up so I thought about just capping it off. Any thoughts?

Okay, here goes.... Put the pump on and she works great! I took her out for a test drive on the Interstate, through neighborhoods, up hills, and through stop-n-go traffic. Here's the 'but'..... It seems like I may have some water in my oil.:wacko:

I'm not sure but I got the milky stuff on my dipstick as well as the oil cap. Now I know it could be condensation, but i'm not sure if it is or not.

What I do know is I may have gotten a little water down the dipstick where the dipstick housing plugs into the block.(This is a stretch) I also know that my front cover was a little rusty(as shown in the picture).

I didn't replace it b/c 1) you have to tear the whole front of the engine off, and 2) I've never had water in my oil before!

Questions:

1. Is there any surefire way to tell if water is mixing with your oil?

2. Does anybody know where I can get a front 'timing' cover for a cleveland?

Places i've checked: Summit, Mustangs Plus, The Paddock, American Pony Parts, CJ Pony Parts, NPD, & Year 1! :2guns: I can't believe these guys don't have it. Of course, everybody had a front cover for a Windsor.... I don't know who made the comment about finding parts for a Cleveland is as easy and finding parts for a Windsor....but, it's clearly not the case here!

Timing cover for a Cleveland? My garage :lol:

Sorry, but if there is something difficult to find it can be the timing cover. That is because they are a sunken piece and not the same type as a Windsor. The only portion that is removable is the front plate and it's not a big cast piece like the windsor counterparts. They are on eBay though. I've never had one go bad, and I've just stripped mine down and repainted them if they began to look bad.

To replace the timing cover requires removing the water pump, pulling the balancer (so removing the crank pulley) and loosening the oil pan (A good bit too).

I can't think of anything else to do, but I also don't have many accessories anymore. (Alternator....)

I would drain your oil ASAP. Then see if there is any more water in the oil. Did you pull a valvecover and check for the milkshake look? Easiest way to tell.