Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newschool

Rear End ????

I have a 9 inch rear end on my mustang,but on center chunk (pumkin) There Is a big letter (N) on it.I havent seen it on any other 9 inche rear ends, I just wanted to know if anyone knew what that stands for.My dad told me it was a good center chunck that ford had made along time ago!! I dont know what the hell he means by that!!so if someone knows let me in on the info! thanks

It means you should remove it, crate it and send it to my address....

But in all honesty your father is correct. That is a Ford Nodular 3rd member. The strongest of the standard production 9 inch centers.

I have two of them. I looked for years in the wrecking yards before I found them, which in both case was just by accident I found them.

This one is a 31-spline 4-pinion Traction-Lok differential with 3.50 gears that came from a Ford half ton pickup with 4-wheel drive and a granny low 4-spd.;

1. http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7745/ncases003oz4.jpg

This one had a 28-spline single track differential with 3.70 gears. This one came from a Ford half ton pickup with a big-block and three on the tree;

2. http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/9421/ncases001lx3.jpg

www.ultrastang.com

I have two of them. I looked for years in the wrecking yards before I found them, which in both case was just by accident I found them.

I had a couple over the years but were bought from other racers and both had 5.xx gears in them... into third before you get past the intersection with an auto but great 1/8 mile gears :-)

I always heard that many of the early/mid 60's econoline vans/pickups had them but I've never found one in a salvage yard yet.

-Stephen

I had a couple over the years but were bought from other racers and both had 5.xx gears in them... into third before you get past the intersection with an auto but great 1/8 mile gears :-)

I always heard that many of the early/mid 60's econoline vans/pickups had them but I've never found one in a salvage yard yet.

-Stephen

Prior to 1970, Ford didn't cast the letter "N" on the face of the nodular 3rd members. The N-cases before 1970 look very much like the weak gray-iron 3rd members that were produced from 1957 through the early part of the 60s. If a person is unfamiliar how to tell the difference, they can easily get one of the weak WAA, WAB, or WAR gray-iron cases thinking it's an N-case.

Taction-Lok differentials were installed in only a small percentage of Ford trucks and cars. Even fewer and harder to find in the wrecking yards are the N-cases. Aside from '69-up Mustangs/related Fords with big-blocks, the most likely place to find an N-case is in a Ford half ton pickup with a big-block, or especially if it has 4-wheel drive and a granny low 4-spd. The N-case will not be found in all the trucks with these conditions, but the chances with these conditions make it more likely to have the N-case.

AWWWWW!!! Look what I just picked up over the weekend.

It's a Nodular 9" out of a Mach 1. It's a 31 spline axle, Trac-loc w/3.00 gears.

The guy had it sitting in his garage for the past many years. I was there buying some bumpers from him and he showed me this and I just had to have it.

This baby is getting rebuild and freshened up and going in MUTANG. I think I'm going with some 3.91 gears too.

MUTANG will also get the Staggered Shock treatment along with the 9 inch swap.

Can anyone decode the tag? I think the guy said it came out of a 1970 Mach 1 CJ.

well looks like I need to break mine down to find out what I really have! Do all the N casing come with LSD?

Ford stopped using the Limited-Slip differentials in 1968. In '69, Ford came out with the Traction-lok differential. This was an improvement over the earlier Limted-Slip diffs. However, '69 is the worst year for the Traction-Lok differential unit, because of four large holes in the casting of the driver's side half of the differential's case. The casting around the diff's side bearing is bad about breaking in this area. In '70 and up models, the differential was redesigned without the holes to make them stronger.

The first N-case I obtained (from a Ford half ton pickup) had 3.70:1 gears, but no Traction-lok differential. It was a single track. But that's ok, because I have about 5 spare 31-spline, 4-pinion, Traction-Lok differentials lying around that I can easily make it into an N-case with Traction-Lok. :punk:

www.ultrastang.com