Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aw4g63

Time to get started. 69 Coupe Project.

So as my car sits right now, it's stripped of all paint and body filler. I lightly coated it with spray can primer while the project sat.

Now, it's time to attack this again. I set aside $3500 in a special checking account just for this project.

I'm starting by pulling the front fenders off and rebuilding the brakes and suspension.

During this I'll be cleaning up the areas and painting them with POR-15. I plan on eventually painting the whole underside of the car with POR-15. Then, once the suspension is build and the brakes are built I can then start the body work.

There is no bad rust on this car. The underside is just dirty and lightly rusted. No serious rotting.

Any suggestions on methods to clean the under side before painting?

Here's so misc pics of the car stripped then the underside.

Since these pics were taken I've removed the motor, trans, exhausts and interior, chrome trim,etc.. It's a rolling shell with glass.

You'll get a dozen different answers from a dozen different people on what the paint the underside. I went with por15 because it was pretty rusted, but I've heard horror stories of it peeling off if the metal was actually in good condition. You need to properly prep smooth metal by sanding and or etching with thier metal ready treatment, it needs something to grab on.

Good luck, looks like you have a solid car to work with, I'm envious!

If you need help on a weekend let me know ahead of time and I should be able to come by. I live in Akron, I work nights but I normally don't work weekends. I need a little advanced notice to clear things with my wife. We just moved so there are a lot of things she has planned. :-)

Russ

Congrates on the restart! - Nice to see another Coupe come back to life. You'll still probably finished before I do..

I have $7500 budgeted this year but my build sheet says I still need $20K.. lol... actually that's not funny.

-Stephen

If you need help on a weekend let me know ahead of time and I should be able to come by. I live in Akron, I work nights but I normally don't work weekends. I need a little advanced notice to clear things with my wife. We just moved so there are a lot of things she has planned. :-)

Russ

Hey thanks,

I just read your cardomain site. Let me know if you need help finding anything around here.

On the underside i went with rustoleum rusty metal primer and a coat of satin black. Pretty cheap alternative compared to Por15. I used a brush and roller to put the primer and a gun to paint it so it came out looking pretty nice. On the top im using epoxy primer and 2k to block it.