Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Max Power

Removing locks and Ignition switches

Just took delivery of the Grande Monday, and I could use a little help as I don't have the repair manual yet. The car has no keys, and the ignition switch is busted out but the guts are still there. Also, the trunk is locked.

What's the best way to remove the ignition switch so I can throw a new one in, and also the best way to get the trunk open? I would rather not pay for a locksmith.

Is this a tilt or fixed column? There may or may not be a hole under the column to stick the end of a paperclip in. I had my turn signal switch removed and then stuck the end of a paperclip in the obvious hole, then turned the ignition till the paperclip pushed in farther (releasing the pin) and then pulled the switch out.

To open the trunk, you can do it from the inside fairly easily. But to get inside the trunk you'll need to remove the rear seat back.

To change trunk and door lock cylinders is easy. There is a retaining clip that holds them in place, slide out the retaining clip, disconnect the lock linkage and pull the assembly apart.

A Grande should have a tilt colum. Normally you insert key, turn to "run" position, Insert paperclip into hole, then pull out the lock assembly from the colum.

Thanks Buening, that was helpful.

Here is the deal. I need to get the balance of the tumbler out. Half of it, including the chrome part, is broken off. I will pull the steering wheel when it gets warmer and see if there is a pinhole. I am trying to get the tumbler out without breaking anything valuable in the coulumn.

Unfortunately, it is not tilt. This is my second Grande, and neither had tilt. I think it is a rare option, actually.

The trunk is full of stuff, so I will pull the seat in the spring and see if I can get inside.

Long nose pliers work very well on the front screw bezels for me, don't forget the button on the headlight switch (on the switch itself) to release the knob past the last stop.