Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69_302RustangFB

Thunderbird Super Charger on a 302?

I have a friend thats really into the 90's Ford Thunderbird Super Coupes, currently helping him restore 35th ann. but i got into a discussion with him on what could be done with my engine on my mustang to add power, make it different/unique and not break the bank account at the same time and he seggested fitting one of the super chargers from a super coupe onto it. He has 3 perfictally good ones sitting arround so getting ahold of one is no problem, but I have limmited knowledge on super chargers so I wanted some input on the idea.

I have read a bit about using other blowers on 5.0 motors before. The biggest issue with most is the 'volume' that the unit displaces. Remember the TBird is a 3.8 liter V6. You might have to spin the blower much faster to build much boost.

Then there is just the challenge of mating the blower to the motor. with one in hand it might be possible to build a flat aluminum plate that would bolt to a four barrel intake and the blower would bolt to that but I can't remember what the blowers actually look like on those.

You'd have to build up your own drive setup as well including a crank pulley and idler and then adapt a carb to the intake side.

I would guess it's possible but would take some engineering to do.

Just my opinion...

-Stephen

i recall some discussion of this on another board and the overwhelming consensus was that the SC supercharger was too small for a v8, but especially anything over a 302 and it would still be inadequate for a 302 as well. it's a cool idea though and i can't say it never crossed my mind in the past.

I saw a build not that long ago..perhaps turbomustangs.com where the guy was installing 2 of the supercoupe superchargers. I'm sure that would work well, but alot of time and money in fabrication work to get it done.

Cool, thanks for the input. Don't know if i'll tempt it or not, trying to find an verify some specs on these particular supercharges. From what I've gathered by talking to several super coupe guys these chargers were originally designed for up to a 5.2L engine with the intent of being used on 5.0s If I can verify this it might be worth a shot.

i'd have to seriously question where they are getting their information from. those blowers are made be Eaton and it shouldn't be too hard to get the specs for them. pretty much every OEM blower on a car or truck these days is made by Eaton including the one on the 5.4 Lightning and it's a much bigger unit than what is used on the SC.

I was thinking the same bottlefed.. two would be cool. Obviously a pain but cool.

Here is an interesting Eaton M90 solution in a late model Mustang;

http://webpages.eng.wayne.edu/~al0769/306/engine_swap.php

I believe the M90 is what is used on the SC.. at least the 91's.

Hey wait a minute... Arrowhead is our resident blower expert with all the work he did on that 4.6 install.. Very nice.

-Stephen

Ha Ha Thanks, but I'm no expert. I was just looking to do something different. Before I did the 4.6, it had a 302 and was thinking putting TT's on that.

The double SC's could be different, but you'd need a lot of plumbing if want use the intercooler. Does sound like the super coupe charger is too small, have to see some specs on it. I like the idea of using blowers that friends just give you for free though. That makes it worth it.

I think you need to check the compression ratio on your existing motor. You might have to replace the pistons with a lower compression ratio. They usually use something aroung 8.5 to 1. I would suggest a forged piston if you have to change.