Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iranmeba

what is this worth

hey there, i'm looking at a 1969 coupe with a recently rebuilt 351w and a 4bbl holley carb. and other minor edelbrock parts were added during the rebuild. the interior is garbage, the front seats are torn to shreds and the dash has some rust that i plan to fix if i get it. the car has no paint on it, just a coat of black primer and above the right front tire there is some body damage that can be fixed relatively easily. also the engine wont start at the moment, the owner says that it's because the battery is dead due to a bad alternator (let me know what you think about that one as well) which will need to be replaced. anyway, i just wanted to know what you all think its worth (owner is currently asking $4250 obo which he recently lowered from $4500).

Thanks

hey there, i'm looking at a 1969 coupe with a recently rebuilt 351w and a 4bbl holley carb. and other minor edelbrock parts were added during the rebuild. the interior is garbage, the front seats are torn to shreds and the dash has some rust that i plan to fix if i get it. the car has no paint on it, just a coat of black primer and above the right front tire there is some body damage that can be fixed relatively easily. also the engine wont start at the moment, the owner says that it's because the battery is dead due to a bad alternator (let me know what you think about that one as well) which will need to be replaced. anyway, i just wanted to know what you all think its worth (owner is currently asking $4250 obo which he recently lowered from $4500).

Thanks

For that kind of money for that car, I would tell him to replace the alternator and battery and you not touch it until he has it driveable.

In my opinion, and I love coupes, only Mustangs I am interested in, that car just isn't "special" enough to risk that much money on not knowing how it runs and drives. Restored coupes are going for not much more, maybe 6k most places. that car will take a lot of money to get nice. Make sure there is no rust also. for that kind of money there better not be anything other than some surface rust around. Good driveable condition go for it, but not as it is.

YMMV, HTH, I am not a (fill in the blank) and don't even play one on TV, etc.

Russ

For that kind of money for that car, I would tell him to replace the alternator and battery and you not touch it until he has it driveable.

In my opinion, and I love coupes, only Mustangs I am interested in, that car just isn't "special" enough to risk that much money on not knowing how it runs and drives. Restored coupes are going for not much more, maybe 6k most places. that car will take a lot of money to get nice. Make sure there is no rust also. for that kind of money there better not be anything other than some surface rust around. Good driveable condition go for it, but not as it is.

YMMV, HTH, I am not a (fill in the blank) and don't even play one on TV, etc.

Russ

you need to check the roof for rust very carefully, the vinyl top cars are very prone to rust under the top and this was an original vinyl top car. my guess is that there is quite a lot of hidden rust under that primer. run a magnet alll over the roof of the car if it doesn't stick well move along. a really really nice plain jane coupe might bring 10-12k on a very good day, and we are talking pretty much concourse resto here. personally i wouldn't give more than 2500 for that car even if the roof isn't rusted out

you need to check the roof for rust very carefully, the vinyl top cars are very prone to rust under the top and this was an original vinyl top car. my guess is that there is quite a lot of hidden rust under that primer. run a magnet alll over the roof of the car if it doesn't stick well move along. a really really nice plain jane coupe might bring 10-12k on a very good day, and we are talking pretty much concourse resto here. personally i wouldn't give more than 2500 for that car even if the roof isn't rusted out

what makes you so sure that the car was originally vinyl top? also if it was why is the top now metal? also how hard do you think it would be to restore that coupe. my plan for the front seats would be to just trash them and put in two racings seats, and for any rust on the interior i would sand away what i could, use rust disolver on the rest, and where there is too much just cut it away and weld in new metal. the carpets dont really bother me so i would just clean them a bit and i'm going to be putting a really nice sound system. i'll probably end up spray painting the interior to give it the "i can conquer anything/i'm a broke teenager" look, and as for the exterior i was also thinking 7-8 coats of spray paint, deep black with two candy apple red stripes, then go over it with a coat of clear coat so protect it. eventually i would prolly put in a new steering wheel but who knows what i will think that far down the road.

what makes you so sure that the car was originally vinyl top? also if it was why is the top now metal? also how hard do you think it would be to restore that coupe. my plan for the front seats would be to just trash them and put in two racings seats, and for any rust on the interior i would sand away what i could, use rust disolver on the rest, and where there is too much just cut it away and weld in new metal. the carpets dont really bother me so i would just clean them a bit and i'm going to be putting a really nice sound system. i'll probably end up spray painting the interior to give it the "i can conquer anything/i'm a broke teenager" look, and as for the exterior i was also thinking 7-8 coats of spray paint, deep black with two candy apple red stripes, then go over it with a coat of clear coat so protect it. eventually i would prolly put in a new steering wheel but who knows what i will think that far down the road.

what bnickel said. you can get a good driver for the kind of money he wants. but not this car. 2-2.5K at most. Offer him 2k the way the car is right now. After doing a thorough rust check that is. If he gets p/o'd or isn't willing to let you do a good check(do a search here or on other forums like the vmf), then walk away.

Russ

what bnickel said. you can get a good driver for the kind of money he wants. but not this car. 2-2.5K at most. Offer him 2k the way the car is right now. After doing a thorough rust check that is. If he gets p/o'd or isn't willing to let you do a good check(do a search here or on other forums like the vmf), then walk away.

Russ

Well, vinyl tops are not something one normally adds on later, especially not as a do it yourself project. IF it is aftermarket, it is most likely hiding something.

You don't say where you are located at. This does have an affect on price vs. quality. Although this car is way overpriced regardless. There are knowledgable Mustangers located most places, and most are very happy to go out of their way to help a fellow owner. Things like looking at potential purchases. :-)

69 Mustang coupes are in the dime a dozen category for the most part. There are much better choices available for that kind of money around if you have the patience to wait. It sounds like from what you want to do that having a solid decent car would save you a lot of headaches. I am talking from the view point of starting almost from scratch, taking a bare shell and building it up from there. Not my first choice, but I only paid $1k for the car I have. Only paid $100 for the car I bought thinking the other was sold off. If I had $4k I would be buying a good driver, believe me.

Russ

Well, vinyl tops are not something one normally adds on later, especially not as a do it yourself project. IF it is aftermarket, it is most likely hiding something.

You don't say where you are located at. This does have an affect on price vs. quality. Although this car is way overpriced regardless. There are knowledgable Mustangers located most places, and most are very happy to go out of their way to help a fellow owner. Things like looking at potential purchases. :-)

69 Mustang coupes are in the dime a dozen category for the most part. There are much better choices available for that kind of money around if you have the patience to wait. It sounds like from what you want to do that having a solid decent car would save you a lot of headaches. I am talking from the view point of starting almost from scratch, taking a bare shell and building it up from there. Not my first choice, but I only paid $1k for the car I have. Only paid $100 for the car I bought thinking the other was sold off. If I had $4k I would be buying a good driver, believe me.

Russ

look at this picture you posted. http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=892&d=1164868556

see the half inch or so piece that runs along the bottom of the roof where it meets the quarterpanel? That piece is a vinyl top trim piece. Factory only, unless it was a dealer add on. For vinyl roof cars only. If you could post the numbers on the door tag we could decode them and tell you exactly what options the car came with.

Russ

If you remove it there are largish (3/8ths, bigger?) holes to fill.

russ

look at this picture you posted. http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=892&d=1164868556

see the half inch or so piece that runs along the bottom of the roof where it meets the quarterpanel? That piece is a vinyl top trim piece. Factory only, unless it was a dealer add on. For vinyl roof cars only. If you could post the numbers on the door tag we could decode them and tell you exactly what options the car came with.

Russ

russ

Oh, you did ask about how hard to restore this car. We don't have enough info. How good are the floor panels? How about trunk floor drop offs? Frame rail conditions. Fender aprons? Etc. Pictures of the floor bottoms from underneath would help, if car is coated in really thick stuff beware, that can hide very bad things. Look behind the carpeting under the dash. Did the cowl have a leak? More common in the 68 and before, but still can happen. Lots of stuff needed to be known before anyone could answer that question realistically. If the car is say an AZ car and you are in AZ, or it was always an AZ (or CA, or whatever reasonably dry state) rust tends not to be a big issue normally, but a car from back east (rust belt wasn't named lightly) the car could look ok from the outside and be completely unsafe to drive.

In other words, more info please. :-)

Russ

Oh, you did ask about how hard to restore this car. We don't have enough info. How good are the floor panels? How about trunk floor drop offs? Frame rail conditions. Fender aprons? Etc. Pictures of the floor bottoms from underneath would help, if car is coated in really thick stuff beware, that can hide very bad things. Look behind the carpeting under the dash. Did the cowl have a leak? More common in the 68 and before, but still can happen. Lots of stuff needed to be known before anyone could answer that question realistically. If the car is say an AZ car and you are in AZ, or it was always an AZ (or CA, or whatever reasonably dry state) rust tends not to be a big issue normally, but a car from back east (rust belt wasn't named lightly) the car could look ok from the outside and be completely unsafe to drive.

In other words, more info please. :-)

Russ

Russ

russ

exactly, but the holes are more like 1/2"

check out my gallery it will show you what we're talking about

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/bnickel69gt?page=2

Russ

russ

exactly, but the holes are more like 1/2"

check out my gallery it will show you what we're talking about

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/bnickel69gt?page=2

That was what I thought, but I couldn't remember. It has been almost a year since I have seen them. I knew 3/8ths was in the ball park, so I used that.

Must post more. think man think.

Just kidding. My problem is sometimes I think of stuff after I sent it, and I forget that I could do an edit instead of a new reply. Working 12 hour days and getting less than 5 hours sleep a night this week. I am not too sure what day it is anymore. :-)

Russ