Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69_302RustangFB

Need opinion on a T5 trans

Hi all, I found a guy that has a T5 trans for sale $200. Came out of a 90's 3.8L mustang, only problem is that it will not shift from 3rd into 2nd. Said it has a bad sincro (or something of that nature). Don't know too much about trans and price values so I'm wondering if this is a good deal or not and how hard it would be to fix it?

Hi all, I found a guy that has a T5 trans for sale $200. Came out of a 90's 3.8L mustang, only problem is that it will not shift from 3rd into 2nd. Said it has a bad sincro (or something of that nature). Don't know too much about trans and price values so I'm wondering if this is a good deal or not and how hard it would be to fix it?

Yeah, I would shy away from anything except a hardened T5 if you plan on much horsepower. I see broken T5's on a local Mustang board quite often. Of course those are in late models with younger (than me) drivers but I'd wait/save for a stronger TKO or something myself.

-Stephen

Yeah, I would shy away from anything except a hardened T5 if you plan on much horsepower. I see broken T5's on a local Mustang board quite often. Of course those are in late models with younger (than me) drivers but I'd wait/save for a stronger TKO or something myself.

-Stephen

Thanks for the help, I guess I look a little further see if I can find something better and yet affordable.

you at least need a world class t5 if you're going to be putting any power to it. now if you were like Pakrat and drove like a 60 year old lady, that would be a different story....:flowers:

Thanks for the help, I guess I look a little further see if I can find something better and yet affordable.

you at least need a world class t5 if you're going to be putting any power to it. now if you were like Pakrat and drove like a 60 year old lady, that would be a different story....:flowers:

Do you have any local late model clubs or local Mustang sites in your area? That is where I found my TKO... some late model drag kid selling out items in the classified area.

I have seen some other trannies there as well, AOD's, etc. Prices seem good since they usually want to turn it quickly without having to pack and ship.

-Stephen

Do you have any local late model clubs or local Mustang sites in your area? That is where I found my TKO... some late model drag kid selling out items in the classified area.

I have seen some other trannies there as well, AOD's, etc. Prices seem good since they usually want to turn it quickly without having to pack and ship.

-Stephen

It's worth it to wait and keep your eyes open. Around my area, used T5's from behind a 5.0 (world class) are going for about $500-$600 in good condition.

Took me about a month to find one for sale, then during the next week 3 different people suddenly had 1 for sale. Always the way it seems to happen...

It's worth it to wait and keep your eyes open. Around my area, used T5's from behind a 5.0 (world class) are going for about $500-$600 in good condition.

Took me about a month to find one for sale, then during the next week 3 different people suddenly had 1 for sale. Always the way it seems to happen...

The only difference between the 3.8L and standard 5.0L T-5 was the input shaft length. Changing input shaft of the 3.8L T-5 with 93 input shaft, will result in a 93 and early spec T-5. Everything else remained the same.

NWC T-5's are not the norm in mustangs, and just an earlier version. Tremec bought Borg Warner, and all the Tremec T-5's are the ''World Class'' variety as far as I know.

We've put 4 cylinder T-5's through MANY runs with an upgraded input shaft and had decent results. Sure they won't hold up to 300+ RWHP but at the 230-250 that we had it was a lot of fun to have the lower ratio first gear.

The 3.8l should be fine, but you CAN get cheap T-5's in good condition. I'd see how much it'll cost to have your local 4-5speed guy rebuild it. Normally they have gearboxes they've rebuilt ready to go for a good deal.

The only difference between the 3.8L and standard 5.0L T-5 was the input shaft length. Changing input shaft of the 3.8L T-5 with 93 input shaft, will result in a 93 and early spec T-5. Everything else remained the same.

NWC T-5's are not the norm in mustangs, and just an earlier version. Tremec bought Borg Warner, and all the Tremec T-5's are the ''World Class'' variety as far as I know.

We've put 4 cylinder T-5's through MANY runs with an upgraded input shaft and had decent results. Sure they won't hold up to 300+ RWHP but at the 230-250 that we had it was a lot of fun to have the lower ratio first gear.

The 3.8l should be fine, but you CAN get cheap T-5's in good condition. I'd see how much it'll cost to have your local 4-5speed guy rebuild it. Normally they have gearboxes they've rebuilt ready to go for a good deal.

Or you could always opt to just leave your car in the driveway for a decade or two and not even drive it at all, then you don't even need a tranny. You can still talk a good game, it'll be just mostly based on theory and memmory as opposed to practical use but that's OK too so long as you remember to constantly whine about it. :winkiss:

Or you could always opt to just leave your car in the driveway for a decade or two and not even drive it at all, then you don't even need a tranny. You can still talk a good game, it'll be just mostly based on theory and memmory as opposed to practical use but that's OK too so long as you remember to constantly whine about it. :winkiss:

Just save your money for something more durable. Also know that there are nearly 150 different part numbers (meaning nearly 150 different specs) of T5 transmissions. There's a website called www.therangerstation.com and in there they have a listing for all the different T5 transmissions and what their torque rating is. The WCT5's came out of the 93-94 Cobras and were designed for up to 330 ft-lbs. They can be had.

Also, know who you're buying from to get an idea of what the transmission has been through unless you plan on rebuilding it. And in that case you shouldn't may more than a couple hundred $$ for it. Anything more and it's more worth it to just save up and buy one new.

Just save your money for something more durable. Also know that there are nearly 150 different part numbers (meaning nearly 150 different specs) of T5 transmissions. There's a website called www.therangerstation.com and in there they have a listing for all the different T5 transmissions and what their torque rating is. The WCT5's came out of the 93-94 Cobras and were designed for up to 330 ft-lbs. They can be had.

Also, know who you're buying from to get an idea of what the transmission has been through unless you plan on rebuilding it. And in that case you shouldn't may more than a couple hundred $$ for it. Anything more and it's more worth it to just save up and buy one new.

of course if you were that guy then you'd have some wierdo with a convertible constantly asking for advice and doing pretty much everything you tell him like some kind of automoton but that's ok, because he thinks you are a mustang god. LOL man, we can sure push others buttons can't we.

of course if you were that guy then you'd have some wierdo with a convertible constantly asking for advice and doing pretty much everything you tell him like some kind of automoton but that's ok, because he thinks you are a mustang god. LOL man, we can sure push others buttons can't we.

:thumbup:

I've already decided to post my first cruising video of the spring for you doing a big smokey burnout just for you brother.

I've already decided to post my first cruising video of the spring for you doing a big smokey burnout just for you brother.

wish i had a video camera. i should be able to be doing big smoky burnouts by spring myself... hopefully anyway