Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Protowrxs

BOSS 302 Engines for 2007

Just an interesting read... and following opinions on the comments.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/blog/boss-302-engines-for-2007/112149

I have to agree it's not a "Boss" motor without some C heads but it will be nice to see a new 4 bolt block available form Ford. Likely too little too late with the World or Dart options out there though.

-Stephen

throw on a set of aussie 2v heads, some new e'brock head or a set of CHI 3v heads then put a 331 or 347 stroker kit in it and that would be one seriously sweet street engine. my personal choice would be the aussie 2v's and the 331 stroker, mild roller cam, and plenty of internal engine coatings, maybe do some roller cam bearings and a danny bee belt drive too. i cuold have fun with an engine like that. maybe one of these days i'll build one for the future 69 cougar, then i could make an eliminator clone out of it.

Wow, lot's of mixed emotions on that site, this is exactly something I might be interested in though eventually. As opposed to spending $500 or so on my current engine, if I can get even one more season out of it and then get into something like this for the $1750 range and have room to grow with it and build it up over the next few years after that, it seems money way better spent.

Wow, lot's of mixed emotions on that site, this is exactly something I might be interested in though eventually. As opposed to spending $500 or so on my current engine, if I can get even one more season out of it and then get into something like this for the $1750 range and have room to grow with it and build it up over the next few years after that, it seems money way better spent.

that $1750 is for the block ONLY!!!!! does not include anything else like, crank, rods, pistons, etc.

that $1750 is for the block ONLY!!!!! does not include anything else like, crank, rods, pistons, etc.

Right but couldn't I get the new pistons and maybe some new rods if needed (like I could do now) and transfer alot of my newer parts like my cam and my double roller timing chain and my 351 heads and what not that is salvagable to it and eventually stroke it and build a monster out of it and keep my original block safe and tucked away for any future intentions?

Yeah.. one could use that 4 bolt block mixed with any 347 stroker kit for a very solid 347. Step up to a forged crank and it would seem pretty bullet proof.

FYI there is a big write up on this block in the new 5.0 mag. There are some good pics in the mag including a good view of the splayed main caps.

I have two 60's block but both require work (bore, deck, align hone) and still have to have a reduced base cam to go roller so I'm looking for affordable options.

If you use the Summit 'new' block and a CHP 347 Stroker you end up in the $1500 range. Built shortblocks from CHP are $2000... <shrugs>

-Stephen

Yeah.. one could use that 4 bolt block mixed with any 347 stroker kit for a very solid 347. Step up to a forged crank and it would seem pretty bullet proof.

FYI there is a big write up on this block in the new 5.0 mag. There are some good pics in the mag including a good view of the splayed main caps.

I have two 60's block but both require work (bore, deck, align hone) and still have to have a reduced base cam to go roller so I'm looking for affordable options.

If you use the Summit 'new' block and a CHP 347 Stroker you end up in the $1500 range. Built shortblocks from CHP are $2000... <shrugs>

-Stephen

i was going to suggest that very thing. the NEW 5.0 mustang block from summit is only like 400 bucks or something, that's a very good deal on a new block, hell you can't an old block machined for that, and this one is roller ready. i remember a couple years ago they were selling those blocks for $299, i should have bought a couple of them back then. i just wish i could buy a NEW 351 roller truck block for that price.

Heh.. no need to by shy around here.

-Stephen

Well, after i posted and read what i wrote it came off a little snobbish, which wasn't my intention. I got my BOSS just before the big increase in value on these cars, and paid 24 grand for this car almost 4 years ago, along the way i bought a complete standard motor in the crate and ford boxes for 5, bought a standard used block in excellent condition without main caps for 500, and spent 4 grand having that block align bored and a 30 over bore done to accomadate the internals from the block that was in the car when i bought it. Have a 670 lift roller cam and lifters, with a hipo 289 dizzy w/pertronix tuned for this motor. 750 holley DP, FPA ceramic headers, centerforce 11 clutch,391 rear, oil cooler,and a complete bolt kit to replace all the old factory stuff. Lots of parts, lots of money.

Got a few other things left to do, but the car looks a lot better now, and runs like bat out of hell when i stomp on it. Kinda scares me a little, and i have yet to see what it will really do.

As to the new BOSS 302?..mixed emotions on that one, and i sort of agree how it can be called a B2 with those heads. Oh well...FORD has a better idea...

DSCN0392.jpg

For what I'm really going to use the car for the Summit solution would be fine. They are $499 now though. You're correct, machining and prep on an old block would eat up that money fast however without a good buddy doing the work.

Technically if the heavy duty football rods I have are useable I could put a 306 together for just the price of bearings, rings and pistons using the Boss crank and 351W heads... but I'm still thinking I'd rather have more 'inches'..:blushing:

-Stephen

Well, after i posted and read what i wrote it came off a little snobbish, which wasn't my intention. I got my BOSS just before the big increase in value on these cars, and paid 24 grand for this car almost 4 years ago, along the way i bought a complete standard motor in the crate and ford boxes for 5, bought a standard used block in excellent condition without main caps for 500, and spent 4 grand having that block align bored and a 30 over bore done to accomadate the internals from the block that was in the car when i bought it. Have a 670 lift roller cam and lifters, with a hipo 289 dizzy w/pertronix tuned for this motor. 750 holley DP, FPA ceramic headers, centerforce 11 clutch,391 rear, oil cooler,and a complete bolt kit to replace all the old factory stuff. Lots of parts, lots of money.

Got a few other things left to do, but the car looks a lot better now, and runs like bat out of hell when i stomp on it. Kinda scares me a little, and i have yet to see what it will really do.

As to the new BOSS 302?..mixed emotions on that one, and i sort of agree how it can be called a B2 with those heads. Oh well...FORD has a better idea...

DSCN0392.jpg

I understand the ill feelings alot have about calling the new engine a BOSS without the Cleavland heads and I also understand why Ford does not see that as a profitable scenario and why they chose their more marketing then tech approach but I'm not too sure I followed along with you at all on this. Let me see if I have it straight. Did your car have the original BOSS motor, and you then had a used standard motor refit with all your BOSS parts to essentially make it into a fake Boss Motor? And how did the crate motor fit into all this? That's where I got lost a little.

OK..sorry..will explain in more detail. I love talking about my car!..lol!

1. Original motor long gone. The motor/block is/was a 6015-c, a replacement BOSS 302 block, and this one was blown up by the guy who originally restored this car in 1983, Gary Spears who owns his own automotive shop in Albuquerque, NM. This car was fitted with a nitrous system at one time by Gary, and he blew it up racing a Porsche out in the desert hiway. He won the race...he says...but blew the motor that reportedly hit 9 grand before going. Anyway, he rebuilt the motor and 4 sleeves were needed to get it going again. fAST FORWARD..3 owners later...me..i drive the car a lot that 1st year, then one day the cam goes flat. Seems the oil i was using wasn't conducive to this motor. No zinc..

2. Rebuild the motor. On fire up and breakin...cam goes flat again. Now mind you, i was unaware of the oil problem.

3. Rebuild motor, again..same thing..cam goes flat on breakin. Now im getting a little angry at this point, and the builder tells me the sleeves are moving!...

I buy another block...standard..bore 30 and align bore to accomadate internals. Find another builder in Oregon. PORTLAND ENGINE REBUILDERS..

Yippee!...they build my motor using a roller cam. No breakin probs. I now use mobil syn 15/50.

The crate BOSS 302 is a spare motor. Everything is BOSS 302. No fake BOSS motor.

The sleeved block is under my bench, and i have since bought BOSS 302 main caps, and i intend to get this motor fitted with those caps someday.

Whew!...hope i didn't 'bore' you guys with that, but thats the story...all true...

DSCN0233.jpg

Ouch.. ouch and then ouch again... Sounds like quite a (bad) adventure.

BUT the car is gorgeous that is for sure.

Ford just as easily could have called the block anything different but they have to capitalize on that Boss name it seems.

BTW You researched now much a Boss crank is going for now days?

I doubt I'll use the one I have in the long run and it should go in a real Boss anyhow. It has had one rod journal welded and the whole thing is 10 x 10 I think. I ran it for about 5-10K miles before pulling everything apart including the car.

-Stephen

Alrighty then... geesh. Well the crank is definately not going in my rebuild then. It would seem a waste for what I need. Just checked again and the crank is actually 10 on the mains and standard on the rods.

Of course mine would be the one that wouldn't make reserve or would go for $50 if no reserve... lol.

Thanks for the info BossJim

-Stephen

Alrighty then... geesh. Well the crank is definately not going in my rebuild then. It would seem a waste for what I need. Just checked again and the crank is actually 10 on the mains and standard on the rods.

Of course mine would be the one that wouldn't make reserve or would go for $50 if no reserve... lol.

Thanks for the info BossJim

-Stephen

Not really knowing (or caring for that matter) how ebay actually works or their rules, if you put it up for sale couldn't you email the loosing bidders making them aware of it and probably fetching a simillar price in the end?

What you could do is setup it up where you have a buy it now price and (fixed priced listing) also have it where bidders could make you offers. And if you dont like their offer you just decline until you get the price that you want. I sell alot of electronics etc on ebay this way.

What you could do is setup it up where you have a buy it now price and (fixed priced listing) also have it where bidders could make you offers. And if you dont like their offer you just decline until you get the price that you want. I sell alot of electronics etc on ebay this way.

hey Stephen, my mustang parts guy here is restoring a 69 Boss 302 that currently has no engine. he knows where the original engine is but the guy won't sell it to him, apparently he wants the car that goes with the engine but isn't willing to pay what it's worth. anyway, my parts guy is collecting parts for a motor build, if you're intersted in selling it PM me with what you want for it and i'll see if he's interested.