Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

70Coupe

Blasting

what is the best method of blasting a car that you guys have found?? sand blasting, media blasting, what type of media to use? i want to do it at home so i dont have to take it to a shop. but i was just wonderin what are the best methods and medias you guys have found.

Are you talking about the whole car? or just parts?

The whole car is a big job that I would farm out. I had a group that came on site and media blasted (glass) my engine bay, etc and it was well worth it. He uses some type of glass media and has a cooling system for the air so they can keep the heat down as well as control the pressure and media release. It was really nice having someone that would come onsite and now have to take the car somewhere.

If you're talking about parts I am just using simple sand in a small blasting box and it works fine. Nothing big or bad but it works.

Here's some pics of the blasting process:

http://www.protowrxs.com/Nolen/Stang/Rebuild/2006-07-06.asp

My 2 cents...

-Stephen

If you're blasting 20 guage i'd use glass bead, if you use sand you will warp the panels too easily.

Also, don't use walnut it leaves an oil residue and your paint won't stick. And same deal with soda blasting, if you don't clean the blasted surface well enough youll have paint problems later.

I agree that while blasting parts at home with sand is just fine and the route I went, I would not want to tackle the whole car, let a pro do that. It is way to easy to warp the panels if you aren't careful enough and takes a delicate touch. You would likely spend the money you save on the blasting making the body smooth enough to paint again anyway. The best do it yourself method is razors and or chemical stripping but blasted is the best way to go by far.

just a quick warning to you guys using beach or playground type sand for blasting. DON"T DO IT!!!! use an abrasive specifically made for blasting like glass bead, aluminum oxide or black beauty. the reason is that the regular beach type sands contain HUGE amounts of carcinogens, 10 minutes of blasting is roughly equal to about 25 packs of cigarettes all at one time, even if you use a dust mask it doesn't help. oh, and the sinus infections are horrible too. i'm a smoker and even i quit using regular sand after i read about that. it's extremely cancer casuiing.

Nice time to tell us now that I'm 90% done blasting what I have to, I used regular ole bleached play sand. I did wear a dust and face mask though and did most of it either out in the open or in a barrel with my shop vac venting most of the dust so hopefully I minimized the damage.

Just wanted to emphasize what bnickel said about using sand. ANY kind of sand. Silicosis can be the result, and it can kill you. I have two 5-gallon buckets of silica sand that I've had for years, and used to use for blasting all the time, but since I heard about the probable effects I'll never use it again. My cigarette habit and the crap I breath at work are killing me fast enough without help from that.

I wonder what type of local companies would carry other types of media?

I've always used a tight mask and shop vac in the blasting box to clear out the dust but why take chances huh.

I haven't a clue as to where to look locally for media and would hate to have to pay shipping for something like that.

-Stephen

I wonder what type of local companies would carry other types of media?

I've always used a tight mask and shop vac in the blasting box to clear out the dust but why take chances huh.

I haven't a clue as to where to look locally for media and would hate to have to pay shipping for something like that.

-Stephen

i get my blasting media from harbor freight. you might also call a welding supply shop, sometimes they will carry it or at least know where you can get it.