Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

Blast from the past....

Here's a neat little long forgotten gem from my PC that I recently rediscovered. This is the PDF file they sent me to proof read when my car was in one piece still and in a magazine. Not one of the more popular ones granted and they refused to correct my 3spd from the auto they listed it as (creative freedom so don't always believe what you read out there) but the pic in my sig was on the cover and I was the first 2 pages at least. Who knows when my car is done this time I could make MM or something!

Here's a neat little long forgotten gem from my PC that I recently rediscovered. This is the PDF file they sent me to proof read when my car was in one piece still and in a magazine. Not one of the more popular ones granted and they refused to correct my 3spd from the auto they listed it as (creative freedom so don't always believe what you read out there) but the pic in my sig was on the cover and I was the first 2 pages at least. Who knows when my car is done this time I could make MM or something!

you mean Dan wouldn't fix that? really?

you mean Dan wouldn't fix that? really?

Nope, he did it intentionally in fact. While the photo's were ones I took while in Texas, I was already living in NH. He was pressed for time on getting a new article out and most of the ones he did for them to date were about his improved handling mods to his own 69' vert. He was supposed to stop by and see me on his way to Vermont for a meeting with the Editor on the Jan/Feb issue so he could actually shoot the two cars together and do the drive comparison as is written. There is also another article in that issue with him road tracking his car at their headquarters. He never actually made it to NH though and to date still has not seen my car in person but we have met and will again in about another week. He always liked my car very much though and fortunately my own pics were pretty high quality. His car was auto as everyone knew from prior articles and he wanted as direct a comparison as possible, but it's all pretty much fabricated even though he has driven his car both stock and modded on his own winding roads as described.

That's show biz, it's more about intersting reading then fact sometimes as I'm sure you have noticed in all magazines from time to time just as I have. Even in my own line of work often on time is more important than correct, a deadline is just that, not a guideline. I even pointed out that I call out the 3spd in my comments section, which they printed verbatem except for listing my 8" as a 9", but he said no one would notice those things. Well, guys like me do all the time. There are many little things that don't jive from story to pictures like the steering wheel and small details like that. I didn't care at the time though because hey I was in a magazine now and it was nice to have a copy at shows and in case I ever sell.

It's been over 3 years now so I think I'm safe letting the cat out of the bag unless folks in general aren't as perceptive in their magazine reading as I usually am and I have just crushed some dillusions that Santa ain't real by telling you this.