Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JC69Stang

Hi Torque mini starter?

Can someone point me in the right direction here. I don't want to spend a whole bunch of money if I don't have to. But my old stock unit isn't cutting it anymore...

Thanks

try a late model starter they are a gear reduction type starter with a permanent magnet.

I use a starter out of a 92-93 Ford Mustang 5.0. Same thing Bnickel is talking about. Cheap replacement, and normally almost the same thing as what people sell as ''high torque mini starters''

You won't have a problem with 11.5 compression with one of them. If you do, you have a defective unit.

I would say go OEM ford style. I got the 1.6kw FRPP unit from Mustangs Unlimited - they had the best price, can't remember what exactly, but higher than you want to pay probably. Lighter weight, smaller, less heat soak issues from headers. Don't drop it before installing it - I've heard the magnets in them are fragile.

I have to say, one of the best parts is the sound it makes when cranking. Hard to describe, just sounds a lot better.

I went with my friend, good old Ebay. Less than a $100. I will let you know on the quality as soon as I get it.

Click Here for Mine

That $49.95 is the price just about everywhere for that style starter. $54.95 for A/T model. That is a basic stock starter. Should work fine unless you have increased compression. CJ Pony, NPD, Dallas Mustang all sell at that price. If you are running headers I suggest a starter heat shield. I burned up many of those starters throughout the years....

Used to be $19.95 in the 80's with the core. I got so good at pulling them I could do it in an hour. Not bad considering I had to loosen the header.... Lived in FLA at the time. I would pull it and ride my motorcycle up to the local parts store with the starter strapped on the back. The parts guy would have the re-man. starter waiting for me at the counter.

I went with my friend, good old Ebay. Less than a $100. I will let you know on the quality as soon as I get it.

Click Here for Mine

That $49.95 is the price just about everywhere for that style starter. $54.95 for A/T model. That is a basic stock starter. Should work fine unless you have increased compression. CJ Pony, NPD, Dallas Mustang all sell at that price. If you are running headers I suggest a starter heat shield. I burned up many of those starters throughout the years....

Used to be $19.95 in the 80's with the core. I got so good at pulling them I could do it in an hour. Not bad considering I had to loosen the header.... Lived in FLA at the time. I would pull it and ride my motorcycle up to the local parts store with the starter strapped on the back. The parts guy would have the re-man. starter waiting for me at the counter.

Well folks on here said the stock would work against my motor, so I guess I will have to see.

The smaller size will help no matter what on the install, and weight reduction too. I always drop them on my chest...

Well folks on here said the stock would work against my motor, so I guess I will have to see.

The smaller size will help no matter what on the install, and weight reduction too. I always drop them on my chest...

JC - I was wrong. You got a great price on a Mini. I saw the price and cross-ref it, not the actual product, to what I was seeing in the catalogs.

The Mini / hi-torque models are going for around $130-140.

Let us know the quality and sorry for the mis-info....

JC, I'd be willing to guess that is the same thing I have out of a stocker, but either a different manufacturer or remanufacturer at a MUCH lower price.

Mine was over 100.... of course I pulled a few strings and got it for a straight swap of my old CAN. I guess all those years working the parts counter pays off in the end.

They are a LOT lighter, and the gear reduction will definitely be enough to turn my 11.5:1 motor over.

That sounds good, my compression is just a tick lower than yours so I think I will be ok. I keep my timing in check as well. The stock starter has served me a lot of years, so this will be a good upgrade.

Hey did you ever get those Hooker Super Comps to fit? I remember you saying that you had the passenger side collector touching the floor boards. Thanks again for those Hooker Comps. They sound wonderful!!!!

I am still not finished with the exhaust, I figure if I keep ignoring te problem it will go away....

I am having some other issues with the car to get it driveable, then I will take it down to the shop and get the X-Pipe problem taken care of.

Glad to hear you like those comps, nothing like the sound of good long tubes....