Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spoofty

What engine should I put in my coupe?

What motor would you use?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What motor would you use?

• 302. Just leave it and use the money on the rest of the car.
    • 347. Stroke the 302. Maybe use a roller block.
    • 351. Pretty easy swap and more cubes.
    • 393. Torque monster starts to get expensive.
    • 390 FE. Cost is close to the same as 393. But FE's are cool.
    • Stroke the FE. Now I'm just getting crazy again.

Well I seem to have a hard time making up my mind. I am in search of some torque, so I'm looking to change my engime. In your opinions what motor would you go with.

1. 302. I could stroke a 302. I have some spare roller and non roller blocks. This would be the easiest as my car has a 302 now.

2. 351 W. I have a late model 351 block. For the price of the stroker kit I could could just build the 351. The 302 in my car right now has a nice set of 351 ported heads on it. so I would only need intake, oil pan, distributor and flexplate. This is really going to be a budget build so stroking the 351 although would be awsome is getting up there a little.

3. 390 FE. Ok budget and FE really don't go together. But there just cool. And another cool thing is that the 390 motor I have has C9AE on it. So it's a 69 motor (it's a shame it wasn't out of a Mustang). You see once I started thinking 351 I started thinking 393. And that led me to 390 FE. Then I think 428 crank and I have 410 FE. And you see my problem. But the FE would need the same parts that I mentioned for the 351 with the addition of headers, bellhousing and balancer. And then that brings me back to the begining due to cost.

So tell me your thoughts.

Join the darkside, go FE. :gunsmilie:

I've thought about stroking mine while I'm rebuilding it, but you're looking at at least $400 just for the 428 crank, and then you need to get 410 pistons or have your 390 slugs machined down .010 (existing 390 rods can be re-used), and suddenly you're talking a bit of money. But honestly, if you're building for street (and an occasional trip to the track for street night), you'll do just fine with a stock bottom-end on the 390. Don't let people tell you it's a dog...they're just suffering from CI-envy. :devil:

If you go that route, just spend that money you saved (on keeping the bottom stock) by reworking the top-end.

Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake: $300

Edelbrock 750cfm carb: $280

Edelbrock Heads: $600 each unmodified (owch!)/$1600 for a pair of Keith Craft reworked Edelbrock Heads

Comp Cam 268H + lifters: $180 (this will work with stock rocker assemblies and springs, even non-adjustables, as the lift is still under .500...this is pretty much the equivalent cam as the 428CJ)

Hooker Super Comps: $370

As you can see, the Aluminum heads are more than everything else combined (and good luck finding a pair used). If you can afford that, go for it. If not, well...I once heard it said "there are no bad FE heads." Yeah, good heads are going to shave some weight and open up breathing, but the standard stock heads are more than sufficient for anything but a race engine. You can even have them ported, but with what that costs, you might as well spend a few more dollars and get that aluminum weight savings.

And you can find a rebuildable 390 block to start off with for $350-$400. I've got a line on 3 that I could have here next week, if I wanted. They're everywhere.

Admittedly, though, I'm an FE bigot. :001_tt1:

Don't let people tell you it's a dog...they're just suffering from CI-envy. :devil:

Gee, I wonder who that was directed at? :whistling:

You seem to like to push your car on the track occasionally so I agree with the 351 you already have since you are working on another car as well. Weren't you building a 302 for Ponygurl? This way you'd have extra parts from your exisiting 302 if need be even though I personally like the idea of stroking my 302 to a 347 one day if/when it needs a rebuild.

Well you all know me - STROKE IT! If I had to pick between a 302 stroked to 331/347 or a 351W stroked to 392 or 408 I would do the 351. Go crazy and take the 351 out to 427ci. That way you have a stroker and FE sized cid.

A stroker will definitely get you the torque you want.

No sense dropping in an engine (351) that you will want to pull and stroke later. It's the end of the season (at least around these parts) so it's time to pull the engine and build a new one the right way.

Oh, and the bottom end of an engine is the base you want to build from. Top end is cool but the bottom end is what gets you down the road. Top end comes after.

I'd have to say go with the 351 as well since it would be one of the most logical/easiest.

If I had my 351 parts back I'd go that way instead of a 302 or stroked version since my car was a 351 code car. Since I do NOT have 351 parts I'm still leaning towards a stroked 302 since I'm guessing gettting past the EFI rev limit isn't as easy as I thought and the RPM is needed to make up the inches difference for a 5.0.

Just my opinion...

-Stephen

What is your end goal, and what do you want to spend at most?

I like an 87-92 foxbody motor with heads cam and intake. Proven time and time again to perform well. Stroker, I'm a fan of the 331 over the 347. Don't build a 347 if you want to build it and forget it for 10k miles and your goal is 11's on motor. A stock stroke 302 is very capable of 12's on motor while staying on a budget.

If you want torque, build the 302 to spin high, and make those gears out back do the work for you. Move that powerband up to the 3500-6500 range and let it fly!

What is your end goal, and what do you want to spend at most?

If you want torque, build the 302 to spin high, and make those gears out back do the work for you. Move that powerband up to the 3500-6500 range and let it fly!

I already turn it 7000. The cam power band is 3800-7200. It's really way too big but it sound cool as hell at idle. when I had a 5 speed in the car it was a pig around town because I had to keep it over 4000 to have any power. It's alot better now with the C4 and 3000 stall.

I like to run at the strip but they've been closed all summer and I'm not sure if they will reopen.

There's nothing wrong with my motor. Maybe I should just change cams for now. Right now my motor is close to 360 hp but only 325 lbft. I have a spare cam here that would give me 350 hp and 360 lbft, if I install it around 4 degrees retarded it will give me a power band of 2200-6200.

And when I blow it up and yes it will blow up that stock crank has been spinning to 7000+ for 7 years now, then I will have figured out what motor to run.

I did some pricing and the parts I need for the 351 were more than a stoker kit for a 302.

It's the end of the season (at least around these parts) so it's time to pull the engine and build a new one the right way.

It's just starting for me. I use my car most in the winter. Florida's too hot with no AC in the summer and the winters and perfect.

You seem to like to push your car on the track occasionally so I agree with the 351 you already have since you are working on another car as well. Weren't you building a 302 for Ponygurl? This way you'd have extra parts from your exisiting 302 if need be even though I personally like the idea of stroking my 302 to a 347 one day if/when it needs a rebuild.

Yes, Ponygurl's motor is just about finished. I don't think I'll ever have a shortage of 302 parts. I have my own 302 junkyard:lol:. Right now I have 4 in my laundry room, Ponygurl's original is next to her car, her new one is on the stand, I have one in my Mustang and one in my Explorer. I need help:death:.

Yes, Ponygurl's motor is just about finished. I don't think I'll ever have a shortage of 302 parts. I have my own 302 junkyard:lol:. Right now I have 4 in my laundry room, Ponygurl's original is next to her car, her new one is on the stand, I have one in my Mustang and one in my Explorer. I need help:death:.

i can offer a bit of help. my brother might be needing a 302 for a project Fox body he is looking at. cheap would be really nice

See? All those 302s laying around without guidance and love...you need a 390 around to give them some guidance on growing up right, a good influence in their lives. It'd be like the Big Block Big Brother program.

Go the 390! Do it for the children!

Thanks for all the imput. I beleive I will be going with the 351. As I'm in no hurry to get it done I will probably stroke it. For now I will change the cam in my 302. I did some dyno pulls last night (ok it was simulation software on my computer) and I came up with 365 hp @ 6000 and 365 lbft @ 4500, that's the same hp at 500 rpm lower but 23 more lbft. But the best part was 313 lbft @ 3000 that's 80 lbft more than I have right now. I will get plenty of pics when I pull it. I plan on installing a main girdle as well.:punk:

Well the wittle tiny 351 step child deems to be pulling strong in the polls even if it can't pull on the line like it's big brother.stickpoke.gif(J/K)

And the stroked 302 is at least running neck and neck. :clap:

But you know, even if you do go with either of the small block choices and find you are left with CI envy in the end, you could always either stuff a sock in your grill or grind up some enzyte and add it to your gas at each fill up. :whistling:

Thanks for all the imput. I beleive I will be going with the 351. As I'm in no hurry to get it done I will probably stroke it. For now I will change the cam in my 302. I did some dyno pulls last night (ok it was simulation software on my computer) and I came up with 365 hp @ 6000 and 365 lbft @ 4500, that's the same hp at 500 rpm lower but 23 more lbft. But the best part was 313 lbft @ 3000 that's 80 lbft more than I have right now. I will get plenty of pics when I pull it. I plan on installing a main girdle as well.:punk:

Got a link to that simulated dyno program on line by any chance? I'd be interested in fooling with that.

The one I have I actually got one Christmas. The newest version of it is $39.95 at Summit. I have some flow charts for Ford heads, that makes it a little more acurate, most of the stuff on it is based on chevys.

I am in the process of building a flow bench in my garage, so hopefully I can get some better numbers then.

There are some free demos at their web but I haven't checked it out.

http://www.proracingsim.com/

Summit.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=dyno&N=700+115+4294815639&Ntk=KeywordSearch

cca-186000_w.jpg