Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

astoria18

Engine starting problems - timing or vacuum?

Hello all,

This weekend I posted about my problems getting the engine to start and the problems with stalling. A couple people suggested checking the timing at the timing chain, so I went for it. It looks to me as if the timing is correct, as the dots seem to line up. I guess it's not the timing, unless I'm missing something?

timing01.jpg

I also had a suggestion to check the vacuum lines. They all seemed to check out, except for this, near the rear of the intake manifold. I'm not sure how the lines should be routed, or what exactly this is all about, so if anyone could shed any more light on the subject, I'd appreciate it.

timing02.jpg

I also appreciate all of the help that everyone has offered so far, hopefully I can get this car running correctly with your help.

Thanks!

Timing chain looks good. Can you get it to start at all? If so, maybe the timing at the dizzy is so far off or the dizzy is not inserted correctly. Lining up those gears can be a pain.

On the vacuum, the hose that is connected in a U is ok as long as it's not split or leaking. All that's doing is plugging the vacuum at the ports. You could always take off the hose and cap both ports. The thing I wonder about is the 'tube' to the left. Is that a vacuum line? cap it off and see what happens - I would say that is definitely a leak....

The 302 in the car now is not what the car originally came with. In the vacuum diagram I have, it appears that the 302's that had an 'electronic distributor modulator' had that metal tube, and a vacuum line ran from the distributor vacuum control, through the metal tube, into the passenger compartment to the electronic modulator, and back out. The way the car came, the vacuum line came from the distributor vacuum control valve by the water neck, to that metal tube, looped around and went to the side of the carb. I simplified the whole mess and made it go from the distributor vacuum control directly to the carb. So the metal tube is just sitting there right now, waiting for me to remove it.

I played with the timing at the distributor and advanced it a little, and it helped the idle, but not with my starting problems. It seemed like it would have been even better if I were able to advance the distributor even more, but the distributor was against the water neck, preventing me from being able to turn any farther.

Any other suggestions?

hello are you shure that the you have the firingorder right?

per

Believe me you will know if you have the wiring messed up. I swapped 5 and 6 by accident - backfiring through the carb and tail pipe. Sounded like I was running on 4 cylinders not 7.