Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'69Mach1

Hurst shift handle with pattern

I came across an interesting discussion on the gto forum ,they were discussing the hurst t-handle ,and which one was correct for the gto judge ,it was mentioned that Boss 302's ,and Mach1's had the same type of handle ,but from what it sound's they weren't too sure on the particulars ,I guess there were three different styles ,I have attatched a photo of the t-handle that they called the "early" style ,it has the pattern with the fourth gear digit with a closed 4 ,they mentioned that the next style was the one with the open 4 ,and the later style with just Hurst on it ,My question is which one is correct for our car's?I would think that the just Hurst one is the universal speed shop item, they also noted that some handles came with a hole drilled in the side for a set screw, is this a Ford item? I have two of the open 4, and 1 of the no pattern ,I hope someone can shed some light on the subject.

I'm not claiming this as gospel -

There was a discussion about this on a another site awhile ago - as some guy on ebay had what they claimed was an original Hurst shifter ball from a 69 stang. It looked like this - some people were saying it wasn't original some were saying the t-handle was an add on?

e9_1.JPG

Well both of my 69 Mach1's came with the Hurst T style w/o any shift pattern. One was built in June of 69 and my current one is Feb 69.

However, I ditched them for a plain white ball w/o a shift pattern. Not too much into orginal anymore - comfort and "coolness" is where it's at.

The hurst shifter wasn`t an option on our `69 s.just the sloppy factory one.

A lot of people put one in as soon as they got their cars home and missed a shift.

The hurst came on the `70 boss cars only.

John

O.K. Guy's,

Thank's for the replies, I found a diagram for '70 in the restoration guide,I'm usually looking at '69 stuff so that's probably why I missed it,also it's printed so small you practically have to look at it with a magnifying glass! it show's the Hurst lever, and T-handle ,with set screw from side ,The guide states that Ford installed the Hurst lever, and t-handle in the sloppy regular old Ford shifter ,I guess that kinda defeated the purpose ,so I guess that the two handles I have belong to a gto as they do not have the set screw in the side.