Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Protowrxs

69 Hydraulic Clutch Setup/Pics?

Anyone running a hydraulic clutch on a 69/70 here and can provide pics of where/how you mounted the master cylinder?

I'm still figuring out if I'm going mechanical, cable or hydraulic for the clutch.

I've seen many pics for 65-68 and one 71+ but no 69/70's. The different 65-68 clutch pedal puts the cylinder real close to the brake master it seems.

It would appear that one on a 69/70 would mount where the clutch rod would pass through the firewall?

I *think* I've decided to go late model on the scattershield/clutch and hydraulic activation so I can more easily run either a T5 or Tremec (3550 or TKO500).

Any pics, help, suggestions welcome!

-Stephen

For the 5 speed conversion on my '66 I purchased a '93 bell housing ,all you would have to do is install the fulcrum adapter to run factory linkage ,not much to go wrong there ,I would go with the cable if you don't want to keep the original linkage ,alot less to go wrong with the cable ,some folk's might disagree ,but after working at a dealership having to deal with hydraulic clutches,(and the problem's related to)all the time ,I would'nt even concider the hydro setup.

i agree on the cable setup, much simpler and easier to do. you can buy replacement clutch cables at most any parts store or the dealer pretty easily too. if something happens to that custom hydraulic setup you're pretty much SOL until you can get replacement parts from the manufacturer.

Thanks for the input. Good points to consider. I had considered a cable solution initially since I've dealt with cable in my old 86 Turbo Coupe (Non adjustable quadrant was a pain though). BUT I found many horror stories about cable solutions with headers, especially long tubes, melting things so I stepped back to consider all options.

Since this is a conversion and the only real manual item I have is the original pedal (the Z bar and linkage I have are bent up pretty bad) I want to compare cost versus best solution. I still haven't drilled a hole in the firewall for the pedal to Z rod and if going hyrdralic I didn't want to have to fill it back in.

A decision now obviously effects which scattershield/clutch fork I go with long term (early or late). If the old mechanical is still the overall most reliable I’ll just get all the remaining parts needed there.

I guess I could at least throw in an old 4 speed I have to get the thing running and convert to Tremec/TKO later that way. Just have to get the spacer and trans mount then I believe and maybe a new clutch depending on which input shaft on a new trans (10 or 26).

Guess I have a decision to make now… :blink:

-Stephen

Not sure if you are a member of the VMF, but a member there by the name of JohnPro has a 69 with the JMC Hydraulic Clutch kit on it with a TKO600. You could shoot him a PM if you are a member on there and see if he has any pics.

Not sure if you are a member of the VMF, but a member there by the name of JohnPro has a 69 with the JMC Hydraulic Clutch kit on it with a TKO600. You could shoot him a PM if you are a member on there and see if he has any pics.

Thanks.. yes I'm over there. Will look him up!

-Stephen