Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FMACHI

Carbie or injection???

It looks like I might have to start thinking about my rebuild. Should I stick with carbie, or go towards fuel injected?? I'll be keeping the 351W almost stock. I'll obviously get a set of cams and do all the necesary mods to suit. I have a set of 351C heads that I'll be matching up.

Aside from that I'll be focussing on ignition/better spark and fuel feed. I want the car to be a strong street cruiser, not a drag car.

So what do you guys recommend.

David

I think it really depends on how much you plan to drive the car a year and how involved you like to be with the hobby. For daily drivers or those looking for more fuel economy FI is probably the way but it may require paying someone to do the diagnostic work when you have issues. A carb may not be as reliable or efficient but it's user friendly and easy to self maintain. The old school factor and just fooling with it on a Sunday afternoon is half the fun of the hobby and I enjoy it as much as I do driving it.

The old school factor and just fooling with it on a Sunday afternoon is half the fun of the hobby and I enjoy it as much as I do driving it.

Thanx for the point, ironically that's one reason I bought the stang. I'd almost forgotten the obvious enjoyment of fixing fiddly little problems.

I guess I'll be staying with carbie. The question now is, is the 600 vacuum Holley that I have a better carbie. Or should I work on the factory carbie. Pros and cons to either would really help as I'm currently having problems with the stock carbie. Reliabilty is my biggest concern, what experience have you guys had with stock/modified carbies, ie jetted secondaries etc.

Thanx again. David.

I don't know much about modding carbs so I'll leave that to someone else, but if the stock one is a 2V I wouldn't even bother with it. My 302 is slightly modded with a Weind Intake and 4V 600CFM Holley carb with a nice but not radical CAM upgrade, pertronix ignition and long tube headers. Just those basic upgrades combined alone really woke up my engine so I have not felt the need to go beyond that.........yet.

While I do believe that many folks tend to over carb their cars and have them taking in more air than they can expel, since the 600 is pretty much perfect for mine, I would consider a 650cfm on your set up.

In my opinion if you are going to run an aggressive cam and the cleveland heads, you are going to have to let that thing breathe. 650 carb and headers with at least 2 1/2 inch exhaust should do fine. Edelbock 650 thunder series is what I am running.

I have EFI on my '69 bronco and I love it. IMO the Ron Popeil "Set it and forget it factor" is the way to go if it's a daily driver. Ford EFI swaps are really simple esp. with an after market wire harness.

That said, I have a carb on my mustang. 351w, mild cam, weiand stealth, and a 600 holley. Why? I wanted a car with a carb to play with. If I do go efi with my stang, it will be something along the lines of MASflow efi stetup.

You also mention that you're 351w is going to have 351c heads. Going the Ford EFI route becomes a lot harder, since Ford doesn't have a lower efi intake for a 351c.

Thanx guys. I say that I'll be adding cams and Celeveland heads. When it comes to it, I'll be comparing the cost of other components and then deciding wether its worth it or not. I will be getting new headers, seeing the ones are on the car are on the way out. The rest of the exhaust is a dual 2.1/2, so I'll see how it holds up before jumping the gun and replacing them aswell.

Thanx, David.