Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PennStateStang

How do I...

...move the battery to the trunk? Is it worth the time and effort to move the battery to the trunk? I have seen this done on quite a few cars and wondered if I should follow suit. I do plan on replacing my radiator eventually but I don't think I am going to get the 27.5" wide one that a lot of Stangers have so there isn't the room-in-the-engine-bay problem. Thanks for the help.

I think the general consensus is to also move the starter solenoid to the rear to avoid having an always hot large un-fused wire running rear to front. Back when I moved mine to the trunk I didn't do that but luckily did not have any issues. Takes a couple extra wires but is the safest way.

-Stephen

I have moved the battery and the solenoid to the trunk on my 70. I put in a Northern crossflow aluminum 27.5"x19" radiator and it interfered with my battery tray, so i had to move the battery to the trunk. I took a repro battery tray and removed the bottom support. It's spot welded in a couple place, but was easy to break off after wiggling it a few times. I centered the battery tray over the passenger frame rail and drilled my mounting holes. I'd recommend an Optima or sealed battery, otherwise you'll have to get a battery box with a vent running to the outside (due to hydrogen gas emmitted from non-sealed battery). I mounted the solenoid on the trunk support near the trunk hinge on the passenger side. Ran all of my wiring over the passenger wheelwell, through the sill area and out the firewall. I drilled a hole in the passenger firewall just below the firewall crease for the starter cable and it is basically a straight shot to the starter. It is still high enough that passengers won't kick it. Hope this helps.

Here is pic of mine, I bought the box from summitt,and the external terminals from a local speed shop(really easy to help jump other cars), I can't remember where i got the battery key from off the top of my head, but if your interested let me know. The key makes for a very good anti theft device, and the box just unbolts so the battery just slides out if you need to change it.

AustinCar017.jpg

Thanks for all the great info. BAMF69, that website was very helpful. Next question, how do I go about moving the starter solenoid to the trunk? It seems that its just wires but any suggestions on what type I need. I am hopefull to do this all this weekend and I will definitely post some pics with a small write-up. Thanks again for the great help.