Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

Shelby scoops functional?

I have a feeling this post I tagged onto a different discussion may get lost si I am adding a link and repost.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1261&page=2

Bryan, you had mentioned in the other thread this was easy, I need you to elaborate please.

I heard back from Cobranda today and they had this to say:

I am sorry to say that we do not offer any type of ducting kit for these scoops. With the 1/4 windows and there regulators in the middle of all of the scoop area, it makes it real hard to do.

I do thank you;

Karl

It may be worth a gamble for me to try the 67' kit for the forty bucks but after looking at my car yesterday I have to say I am inclined to agree with them. Were these really functional in 69'??????????

hmmm, forgot about the 1/4 windows. i believe that the fastbacks were functional in 69 but i could be wrong, i have no idea on the verts though.

i would think they could still be made functional but jut how difficult it would be i haven't really investigated...yet, but i will. i believe (from memory) that there is a place between the 1/4 and the regulator that should be big enough to run some kind of ductwork through.

So do you think you would use the 67' kit then as I put in the other thread I linked to? Or would you fab it all up from scratch? I'm thinking maybe it is worth the $40 gamble but I'd love to know if the real deal had it in 69' or not.

I don't know why but I am suddenly keen on making them functional.

So do you think you would use the 67' kit then as I put in the other thread I linked to? Or would you fab it all up from scratch? I'm thinking maybe it is worth the $40 gamble but I'd love to know if the real deal had it in 69' or not.

I don't know why but I am suddenly keen on making them functional.

yeah the 67 kit should work although it may need some modification to work right.

i've always wanted to make mine functional, especially since i've always planned on putting rear discs on it. i even went to all the trouble to cut out the opening in the front of the ones i got from NPD (they suck BTW) since the opening wasn't already cut out i could have just painted them and slapped them on rather than mess with it.

From what i have read, Shelby started out making all of the scoops functional. As time went on, the scoops became non-functional for reasons that i cannot remember. I think it was a cost issue but not positive. I think 67 was the last year for functional shelby scoops.

Interesting reading. So I guess they were never functional then in 69'. I am interested in more so the cool factor and just to avoid wind resistance. I guess it is something I can always tackle later, though I hate the thought of cutting a hole in the car after paint.

I could swear I have seen 69' Shelby verts with a vent in the wheel house at shows but maybe not. I'll have to think about this a little now I guess.

I hate the thought of temporarily putting back my rear qtr. window just to see what space is available there. Does anyone currently have the rear interior panel removed and can snap me a picture of the inside with the window rolled down?????????????

BTW B, function or not, if you had left the holes uncut with paint instead of screens I think that would have looked shitty personally. Like modern cars with scoops that are blocked with a fake grill screen. Even if something does not function I still think it should at least look like it does.

Seems like one could build something similar to or modify a defrost duct to get the air pointed towards the back. Use the flat part opened up more to catch the scoop air.

I have my coupe rear quarter windows torn out myself so I can't help much but I do remember it being pretty tight.

Guess you could leave the windows up in a coupe but that wouldn't work in a vert.. :)

I modified some old defrost ducts on my '67 Cougar XR7 for front ducting one time. Mounted up inside the front splash pan and routed to the front disc.

-Stephen

You know, now that you mention it i remember seeing a 69 shelby shell on ebay that went for something like $20k and it had a hole in each rear wheelhouse for the brake ducts. Hmm, not sure what to think now LOL.