Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69Tool

Question on front disc brake conversion

Hello, I am sure this has been asked before so I apologize in advance. Which models of cars have disc brake setups (especially the spindles etc) that will bolt directly on to a 69 Mach 1? I have heard Mavericks, but am unsure, obviously Granada, but what other if any are there? Thanks.

Tool

check this out, brand new spindles, slotted rotors, bearings, prop valve, master cylinder, calipers, splash shields, bearings,seals, brake pads, hoses and all the little small crap to do the swap for 545.00. that is a good price and you can't touch that with junkyard parts where you'll likely have to replace everything but the spindles themselves.

http://discbrakeswap.com/

that's cheaper than even an SSBC kit that doesn't have as many parts and pieces.

Wow.. and a nice little guide with an FAQ as well here:

http://discbrakeswap.com/The_Granada_Swap_Guide_03.19.3006.v01.pdf

I sticking with my factory setup but 70+ spindles and slotted rotors myself but that would be a pretty good deal for a upgrade.

-Stephen

the cool thing is that granada spindles are almot identical to the 70-73 spindles the big difference is the bolt on caliper bracket otherwise they are the exact copies. well actually the tie-rod is supposedly just slightly different but not so much that the stock 70-73 tie-rod won't work just fine. i can't actually conmfirm the difference but the guy from disc brake swap page has commented there is minute diff. on most of the other boards he goes by degins as his user name. he is also working on a 65-66 specific kit to correct the geometry problems that arise when using granada brakes on the 65-66 due to the different length and angle of the steering arm. he's also been talking about doing a 68-73 caliper bracket for the granada spindle so us 68-73 guys can use the stock style disc brake system with original calipers. the granada and 70-up mustang spindles are also basically the same as the 68-69 except for the different tie-rod taper and the larger pin which uses different bearings.

so even for someone wanting to convert from factory drums to factory style discs this will be the way to go, once he gets the correct caliper brackets made up. in the meantime one could still buy the spindle kit without all the rect of the parts and swap the correct caliper bracket to these spindles, it's a simple bolt on. hech, for that matter the guys with 68-69 disc brake cars could use this to upgrade to the beefier spindles as well. i've thought seriously about doing that very thing myself, if i'm able to keep my car once it's finished i very well might do it. another point is that i think he will cut you a deal if you decide to leave out the calipers and pads so you can use the stock disc brake stuff and still have all new stuff everywhere else, even the splash shields will work factory 68-73 calipers. basically anyway you look at it it's a pretty good deal.

id like to know this info also , is there any of the bigger fords or trucks that would have 11 inch rear drums that would bolt up to an 8or 9 inch?

check outmid 80's to early 90's lincoln town cars and crown vics and mecury marquis, they have 11x2 or 11x2.5 rear drums. there are a ton of other cars that have them as well a lot 60's and 70's wagons had them, in the 70's though it was only smaller cars and some of the intermediate cars got them. like a 69-71 torino wagon and then in 72 (or 73?) the torinos changed to the 5x5 bolt pattern so be careful of the 70's cars, but then in the 80's they changed everything back to the old 5x4.5 bolt pattern.