Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Protowrxs

"Mustang" Name in Danger?!?

Anyone read the latest "Hoofbeats" in Mustang Monthly?

Seems Ford has it's lawyers going after anybody and everyone with 'Mustang' in their name. Or is this old news?? I haven't heard about it myself.

They aren't happy with just Mustang and Thunderbird.. they apparently are looking at "Pony" and "Stang" too as trademarks.

Looks like Ron at MustangsPlus is first in line;

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060510/MONEY/605100302/1003

Here we go again... greed always gets in the way it seems.

Edit: Hey I have it! - Just rename this site to http://www.1969carthatisnamedafterawildhorse.com.. that should work. :(

-Stephen

Now thats just ignorant on Fords part. Why would you go after the little guys and a company that helps keep your "Mustang" name strong. People who buy the parts from a company like this to fix up a classic Mustang usually end up buying or owning several more mustangs some of which are bought off their dealerships.

So are they not making enough money off the Mustang name? They should spend more time on a revamp of the rest of the company and not waste their energy on things like this.

On a side note if they start doing it to "enthusiasts" sites like this one or others I guess i'll have to start driving camaros and chevys.

sounds like ford is following chryslers lead , there was a big blow up over useing anything that even resembled a chrysler trademark past or present for what ever reason , they made a magazine go out of business cause its name was too simular to the mopar performance name , for a while noone could get permission to even use the names on shirts and even now its allmost impossible and they even started asking royallties on repopped parts , and even have now made it mandatory that all repopped parts have to be approved by chrysler and recieve a specail sticker saying such , which is good for the customer in away but it also drives the prices on allready expensive parts higher , it just boils down to everyone wants to make money the easy way and just raise prices they dont want to do the stuff it takes to build loyalty and trust wich in turn allways raises profits it just takes alot more time

Well, I can kind of see if they wanted to charge a royalty for the right to use the Term Mustang, but making everyone stop using it is just insane. This feels like the whole Shelby sueing them over the Cobra name thing and Ford was not happy when it happend to them. I do understand protecting your property rights, these days you just have to, but the hobby guys are the ones that have kept the name alive for Ford all these years and they shouldn't suffer! How the hell is anyone ever gonna sell parts formerly known as Mustang?

Hey, did you guys also catch the blurb in the news desk on page 22? It looks like ole Shelly is taking it even one step further having all shelby vendors stop making reproduction parts and now they will only be available thru him and you must provide proof of Shelby ownership just to purchase the parts, in other words, they are trying to stop cloning.

While this kinda disgusts me, I can't help but wonder if it isn't wise to start stock piling a bunch of the more common items and wait until this takes affect then clean up on ebay?

Can you post a link to this pak? If so, then your idea of getting the not so common stuff is a good one. But how long will it take them to stop every parts dealer and for you to be able to cash in?

Yeah, I just ran across that myself. Sounds like the story they're using is to 'protect' the world from Shelby clones.. almost makes me want to make my own 'GT 350' lettering and thumb my nose at them. Personally I still think it's greed. To do it right you go after those that abuse or falsely use the name as official promotions, not those doing the hobby a favor.

Wonder when Ford will go after the 32 fiberglass body and repo parts group. I'm sure they still have rights to that somehow.

Sorry.. this stuff just rubs me wrong.

-Stephen

Can you post a link to this pak? If so, then your idea of getting the not so common stuff is a good one. But how long will it take them to stop every parts dealer and for you to be able to cash in?

Sorry I can't, I read it in the new issue not online. Who knows how long it will take but if it seems to progress more seriously and I have money left over i may invest in some things and store them for as long as I have to.

Bump... Anyone else get an email like this:

I emailed Ford in regard to this issue some time ago.

Received this 11/14/2006.

---------------------------------------

Hello,

Thank you for being a loyal and valued customer of Ford Motor Company.

Ford is currently reviewing its enforcement practice regarding companies which have 'Mustang' in their names, to determine what accommodation can be made which still allows Ford to protect its trademarks, which are among its most valuable assets.

We hope you will appreciate that Ford can never compromise when it comes to keeping counterfeit parts and counterfeit part dealers out of the marketplace. It is vital to the value of our brand and the loyalty of our customers that all parts which bear Ford branding be legitimately authorized.

Thank you for taking the time to express your views.

Sincerely,

Colleen Rose Coventry

Ford Motor Company

Customer Relationship Center

---------------------------------------

No, I haven't but what a standard bunch of form letter bullshit! It does not even address the issue at hand. There is a huge difference between stopping a long trusted retailer, magazine writer or even a small but loyal website like this from using any nameing remotely related to their trademarked name and a counterfeiter who is trying to pass low quality merchandise at a high profit.:beta1: