Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

Finish options for natural metal parts?

I've recently cleaned a variety of parts that I guess have always been just natural metal, things like the filler neck or misc PS brackets/ studs etc...for example and I wonder, should I just leave them natural? If they won't need cleaning for another 30+ years then that is fine but I doubt that is the case. Should I clear them? Paint them cast gray or argent? Match them to adjacent color specific parts? Originality isn't reallya factor I guess anymore but I'm curious how everyone else would handle it?

I've always used the high temp Duplicolor Cast Coat Iron spray paint. I've tried clear coating bare metal but it always seems to rust underneath the clear coat.

i always try to color match the natural metal with some kind of paint.

Meaning try to color match it to some kind of surrounding paint or match it to some kind of paint that matches the natural finish?

Meaning try to color match it to some kind of surrounding paint or match it to some kind of paint that matches the natural finish?

some kind of paint that matches the natural metal. for instance, my taillight buckets are painted just like yours, the hood hinges are painted cast grey, the tie-rods are painted cast grey, the intake, power steering pump bracket and alternator are painted with cast aluminum paint, etc. everything has a clear coat on it though. wish i could have found a satin clear for some of the stuff instead of the gloss cear, however.

OK, I got ya.

So are you saying that the outside of the buckets, hood hinges, tie rods etc.... were all actually natural metal originally too?

OK so I guess I'll just paint everything then. Hmmm, I have been wanting to try some of that hammered metal finsih type of paint for some time now, maybe some of these parts would be good for that.

OK, thanks man.

there was a list i think on the MCA website that has a list of every part and what color it is supposed to be. Alot of the parts you mention was supposed to be phosphate and oil finish, but is a pain to keep that way with a non-trailer queen.

the taillight buckets are actually silver cad plated. but the tie-rods and hood hinges were phosphate and oil. basically natural metal though, the phosphate and oil treatment on those parts didn't realy change the color much. usually phosphate and oil makes a satin/flat black finish.