Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dlinebar

HELP - I messed up my Harmonic balancer

Ok Im a bone head, I was pulling the harmonic balancer off of the front of the crankshaft using a gear puller, all seemed well until I realized that what was comming off was the ring AROUND the balancer and not the balancer itself. I never in a million years would have thought that the balancer was in two pieces...but it is....so now I have the two pieces, the balancer and the ring that goes around it (the piece that has the timing parks) and I cannot see any index or way to assure I get it back on correctly. Is there an index mark on them to get them aligned.......if not I could re-install the inner part as it uses a keyway, rotate the crank to 0 degrees TDC and then mark where that is on the inner part, I could then line up the outer ring 0 degree TDC mark with this and that would do it but there has gotta be a better way........HELP!!

You will need to replace the balancer. The external ring and rubber isolator is what isolates the ring and helps dampens the resonance from the cylinders firing. A balancer puller is needed that bolts to the inside where the pulley connects to pull the balancer.

-Stephen

Ok, I screwed up, I will have to get a new one....damnit.....mark that one up as a learning experience. To make my self feel better I will say it was 40 years old and I should have replaced it anyway....yea thats the ticket I should have replaced it anyway......

This is really a perfect case also of why it's really not optional to do things yourself and not spend a few bucks on a good set of Ford Manuals for your car. No guess work involved and fewer uneeded parts bought. They totally pay for themselves on the first project.

Well....I had the manual and it said use a balance puller, but I didn't have one and thought I would use a gear puller......lesson learned.... $100 lost...but I should have replaced it anyway....yea I will just keep telling myself that.......

DOH, OK, it's a case where you really need to follow the manual then.:blushing:

You know what though, don't beat yourself up because you learned and that is what makes a mistake acceptable.:cool: It's repeating them that's not cool.

Wow back i think your in luck thats one i really believe i have:scooter: Your also lucky i got rid of my car so im selling a bunch of parts, But since your in a pinch with a stroke of bad luck (The same luck i would have :) ) I figured id help ya out

Hey,

I can't thank you enough for your kind offer for the balancer, I found a new one locally and decided to go that route. I am putting in a new engine and I figure what the heck spend a few more bucks for a new balancer. I really do appreciate your ponying one up for me though.

This way I can have it today so I can put the engine together this weekend too.

It is good to know there are still nice people in the world, thats what these forums are all about!

Dan