Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FMACHI

Radiator query

I seems like all of the Mustang radiators I see have the to and from engine hoses on the passenger side, drivers right side of car. Do any of you guys experience overheating issues with non standard motor. How do you rectify the problem.

Here in OZ, we avoid overheating issues by modyfying the radiator. Most Aus radiators use diagnol to and from. That is to engine, drivers bottom right. And from engine, drivers top left. This makes water flow from top corner to bottom corner, and maximises the water flow and radiators surface area.

I've noticed that on my Mach I raditor stays cooler on the drivers side.

Any thoughts, feedback. I can provide pictures if needed.

I seems like all of the Mustang radiators I see have the to and from engine hoses on the passenger side, drivers right side of car. Do any of you guys experience overheating issues with non standard motor. How do you rectify the problem.

Here in OZ, we avoid overheating issues by modyfying the radiator. Most Aus radiators use diagnol to and from. That is to engine, drivers bottom right. And from engine, drivers top left. This makes water flow from top corner to bottom corner, and maximises the water flow and radiators surface area.

I've noticed that on my Mach I raditor stays cooler on the drivers side.

Any thoughts, feedback. I can provide pictures if needed.

Is this an OZ 69? Every 69 I've ever seen has the top hose on the pass. side and the return on the lower driver's side...

I never have had a overheating issue but I did swap my radiator out with a 4 core 26" radiator and dropped the thermostat to 180 degrees from 192. That's a Cleveland thermo. Not sure but would guess a Windsor would be close....

No it's a ex-Calafornia import. Arrived in Australia early '05. Radiator must have been changed for some reason. The grill of the radiator meausures 62cm across (Approx 24 1/2 inch) both to and from are on the passanger side, and transmission cooler lines attach to the bottom tank of the rad.

How different is this to your rad.

PS isn't the top hose the return and the bottom the engine supply hose?? I'm actually not sure.

Is your 'connection' to the bottom of the engine on the drivers side, I have a Windsor and the bottom 'connection' is on the passanger side (drivers right)

I prefer to say drivers left/right so those that have converted the car don't get confused.

The diagonal configuration are used in 70 and later mustangs. They wised up and found them more efficient so they put them in the 70 mustangs. This can get messy trying to convert everything on a 69 to a 70 style waterpump because all the accessory brackets and timing cover need to be from a 70 and later. You can get away with this by getting an aftermarket aluminum radiator (crossflow design) with the inlet on the passenger lower and the outlet on the drivers upper. You will retain the same lower hose, but will need either a flex hose or one from another car from a parts store. It will have to reach from the thermostat housing to the driver side of the car. A coat hanger or something flexible but holds it's shape is nice, as the local parts stores have numerous hoses to choose from. Let me know if i can help further.

Well there you go - my Mach1 body is a 69 but the engine is a 73 351C. I always order engine stuff based on the engine date. I did have to custom bolt my radiator in but it fits nice. So if you are looking at the radiator with the inlets facing towards you the top one is on the right and the bottom one is on the lower left.

However, I did own a 69 mach with an orginal 351W and could have sworn it was the same. But it was 1982 and I was 18 and well booze and other mind altering sustances flowed quite freely so I could be wrong. Regardless, I yanked that tired old Windsor and replaced it with a 428CJ out of a wrecked 67 GT500. Tight fit....

BTW: FMACH1 - don't you crazy Aussie's drive on the wrong side of the road? If so, was the Cali. Mach converted to right hand drive? That must have been a conversion!

I'm confused on the right side being cooler. Is your radiator a downflow, meaning there is a top tank and a bottom tank? If it is a crossflow and the inlet and outlet hoses are on the passenger side, then the drivers side (in the USA ;) ) tank would be cooler until the thermostat opens. Same goes with the outlet radiator hose. It will remain cool until the thermostat opens and coolant is flowing through the radiator. The water is stagnant until the thermostat opens.

buening, mine is still left hander, I won't be converting it. So it's the drivers left side of the rad. that stays cooler because less hot water flows through that side. A 69 that I saw on the weekend has converted his top tank oultet to drivers left for diagnoal flow. He cut the top hose were it straightens, and fitted a 1 inch polished stainless pipe so it can reach drivers left. Goes well with the rest of his bay.

COZ, we crazy Aussies do drive on the wrong side of the road. But I didn't convert mine. So I'm considered a lunatic wog seeing I'm Spanish background.

All I did was change seat belts for our passenger vehicle laws, change head lights to suit driving on the wrong side of road (light angles can't be adjusted and headlight glass is different??). I also rewired indicators to the reverse lamps, because imbiciles don't understand what a flashing tail light is. And front wheel alignment to suit the 'camber' of the road angle.

And I refuase to destroy the cars originality by converting it to right hand drive.

What is the width and height of a standard rad. core.

David