Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69meadowlarkyellow

Testing gauges?

Anyone know how to test the fuel, oil, & temp gauges in the 69 Mach1?None are working and have replaced the constant voltage regulator & the printed board.

The lights work though. Do you think that the lights would work correctly if the plug was in upside-down? Help:)

Well first of all the plug can only go in one way. There is a little notch in the connector that allows it to only fit in one way. To test to see if it is the gauges (highly unlikely), take the sender wire at the sender and ground it to the body/motor. Most of the end connector at the senders are coated in rubber, so you'll have to make sure the metal is touching. When you ground the sender wire, have a buddy sit in the car and observe the gauges. If the gauges peg high/full, then the sender wire and gauge is ok and you probably aren't getting power to the gauges.

Did you test the new parts before you installed them? New or not verify everything, always.

You may also want to invest a few dollars in a good multi tester, you can pick one up anywhere for pretty short money considering what it costs to troubleshoot by replacing good parts with other good parts at random until you find the culprit. I still have a 30+ year old Dixco which they sadly don't make anymore but there are plenty to choose from still.

I am using a multimeter to test the regulator and the voltage jumps around. from about 12.5 to 6.6 Is this normal? Also, when I attempt to hook up a 6 volt jumper to the posts of the fuel gauge I get a nasty spark. How and what do I hook up to the gauges to test them and what is the proper way and reading to test the regulator on the back of the cluster?

Also, when I attempt to hook up a 6 volt jumper to the posts of the fuel gauge I get a nasty spark. How and what do I hook up to the gauges to test them and what is the proper way and reading to test the regulator on the back of the cluster?

Is this with the cluster removed from the dash and no power going to the gauges? You have to be careful with the amps that go through the gauge. Try a D size battery or a pair of them and see if the gauge needle moves. Did you try grounding the sender wires with the gauges all hooked up to see if the needle pegs?