Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

Best choice for under carpet insualtion?

I have read on and on about dynamatt and fatmat and quiet coat and others I can't even recall now, but are any of them worth the extra cost over a run of the mill made to fit exactly undercarpet insulation form just about any vendor for $60 +/-?????? I'm thinking in a convertible cutting down noise to the barest minimum isn't much different from doing almost nothing so unless I am missing a key feature of these other products, I'm having a hard timke convincing myself to spend the extra.

Who's got what and what do you recommend?

well since i sell furniture and mattresses i went to a mattress company and got a whole bunch of insulation they use on them for like $2 for 36"x52" but i used this under the carpet in the front and trunk. I would recommend to use dynamat extreme on the firewall and under the rear seat because these are the places you get heat and noise from. it's expensive but very good. Also the insulation i get from the mattress company is fire retardant because by law it has to be.

Pak,

I used Quiet Coat and after reading everything people were saying (audio pros) it seemed like a great way to go. Certainly, when I rap on my floor pan with my knuckles, it sounds like I just hit concrete, the noise really is dissipated.

The thing is, there are just so many various squeaks, shakes, and rattles, that it doesn't make too much difference. Maybe when I do subframes the story will be different. I also get a big rattle when going from first to second, I have yet to figure that one out.

Do you get much drone or tire noise while driving? Maybe you should just turn up the tunes. :-)

I have read on and on about dynamatt and fatmat and quiet coat and others I can't even recall now, but are any of them worth the extra cost over a run of the mill made to fit exactly undercarpet insulation form just about any vendor for $60 +/-?????? I'm thinking in a convertible cutting down noise to the barest minimum isn't much different from doing almost nothing so unless I am missing a key feature of these other products, I'm having a hard timke convincing myself to spend the extra.

Who's got what and what do you recommend?

I think it is worth it. Though I haven't done it yet. When I installed my carpet I bought the generic kit that went with it and it was more like roofing shingles, crappy stuff I think. I would think that any noise reduction especially in a vert would be a good idea. I plan on doing mine with the extra step of sealinf the floorpans with something like the truck bedliners. Not sure yet on that part though.