Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve69

Rear end feels likes it comming out.

Hi Guys

I have a 69 Mustang with a 302 T10 4spd. The car Hasn't been driven much and I just finished up restoring it. I installed a new Ram clutch and

Pressure Plate and throw out bearing a few years back. The problem Im having is when I let the clutch out the rearend jumps up and down like theres a binding problem or something. After Ive started out it shifts through the gears fine and I hear no rearend noise or hum. Things ive done beside the clutch is new outer axle bearings and gaskets. I also installed new wheel cylinders because I thought maybe the brakes are causing this problem. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Steve

Did you have your flywheel machined or resurfaced when you put the new clutch in? That will cause a stang to buck like a bronco if you try to let first out quickly. Have you tried letting it out slowly, if so does it still happen?

I did have the flywheel resurfaced. and it does seem like when you drop the pedal a little bit quicker. If its at a little higher rpm it seem worse. If

you let the pedal out really slow and at a very low rpm it works ok. I did

also notice when I have the clutch pedal in it does hum a little until i release the pedal.

Thanks again

Get ready to do a clutch job again. Just went through this after my car sat around with the exact same problem. Slow or high rev didn't make a differnce. Fly wheel is like brake rotors and using a 3 finger clutch won't grab as well and just adds to the problem. My drivetrain was new before I let it sit and I elected to rr the clutch once again since I was there. I also swapped the clutch out to a diaghram type. Way better, but it probably would melt real quick if I was racing with it.

Yeah, something is defintly not sinc'ing up with your flywheel then, at least that is my guess if you don't seem to have the same issue with a slow let out. Have you tried starting off in second gear? Just curious if you notice it still or not, I am going to guess no.

If I want to switch to a diaphram clutch and PP what all involved with that? Would I have to switch the Flywheel? Can I use my old bellhousing and linkage to swicth to a diaphram clutch setup. Anyone running a T5 tranny in there 69 or 70 Mustang. Any problems with shifter

clearing counsel with T5?

Thanks

Again

Steve

Steve69, there's nothing to change cept the clutch. Just like doing a normal clutch job. Only difference is I can sit at a red light all day long with the clutch in. Shifting is painless and dosen't feel like a truck clutch anymore. Same flywheel, and bell housing.

Lots of brands out there. Your flywheel shouldn't be any different then mine. Most stang shops carry 'RAM' brand, and runs bought 180.00. Course you probably have Autoparts shops there that will fix you up too. I personally didn't care what brand I used cause its not a daily driver, and I may wanta change it with different engine spec's later on. For sure sky's the limit when buying parts. One of the best upgrades I ever did on this car without spending lots of money.