Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fastback40

Taillights

I'm testing different solutions for brighter taillights. I don't like the sequential led's and just tested one of those direct replacement led's. The direct replacement one is very cool in that during emergency braking the lights blink 10 times to alert the driver behind you of a problem. Anyway I shot my buckets with silver as pakrat mentioned and bought new lenses. That seemed better but not much. I did run across a thread that did a comparasion from blacked out buckets, and while the silver increased the brightness by only 20%, the white painted buckets increased the brightness by 60%. Something about the white paint had titanium oxide, but Before I tear these things down again can anyone confirm this? Also I found an a thread on a impala group that's using chrome tape from 3m that looked like chrome they were using on their buckets. Course now I'm hearing bout halogen 1157's bulbs. What's the answer?

I've used bright white enamel for taillight buckets and it definitely worked better than the fake chrome paint I'd used before. I don't know if it's 60% better, but it is better. Just use as bright a white as you can... like refridgerator white or brighter and you should notice an improvement.

Wow, that was like a long time ago wasn't it? Anyway, the Argent which I probably mentioned was to also maintain a stock appearance even though it's not readily visable. Yes, though, white is the best. This is also the trick used to make your instrument panel light up brighter, by using a bright white on the bulb shields it will increase the brightness dramatically.

In a week or two I plan to take my one undamaged tail light and the 4 that Chepsk8 gave to me last summer and tear them apart and mix and match the best parts together for two good units. I think now that I re-think it I will hit the inside up with white also this time around.

Here's the link I found http://www.clubhotrod.com/t10819.html regarding color testing. Hope the link works! After pounding the net for a solution I think I finally found one on NPD site. I placed an order for halogen 1157 bulbs and a 3 bulb conversion kit. I'm going to test the halogen bulbs first for brightness just cause I'm curious. The other kit plugs in you oem socket and allows the use of 3 bulbs, which I'm hoping I be able to use the new D-cell led's. While talking to NPD they gave me another tip which is to paint the inside of your lens with clear paint. Cause's it picks up the light more. Guess I'll be changing my buckets to white when these parts get in.

Just got my 3 bulb tail light conversion kit from NPD with a seperat order of a pair halogen 1157 bulbs. The 3 light bar is very kewl. It comes with its on chrome reflector, and mounts inside the lense, not deep in the bucket. I wasn't sure the 1157 d-cell leds would fit but now I'm sure it will work. So I'm going to run Halogens till I get the rest of the d-cell led's in. Man is this going to be kewl.