Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bswor

New goodies for engine

My 351c aussie heads arrived today and boy are they perty. I still have some other pieces to gather before i start on the engine. I hope to have the Mustang Steve brakes installed soon. For now im just stockpiling more parts it seems. Heres a few photos:

sweet man. if i ever have the money to do another car it'll be another 70 cougar done as an eliminator clone. the engine will be a late model 302 roller stroked to either a 331 or 347 (haven't made up my mind yet) with a set of aussie 2v heads and i'll do some sort of efi conversion on it like the mass-flo efi system or and e'brock pro-flo or something so i can use a stock style air cleaner and boss 302 valve covers so it will look like a vintage boss 302. it'll also have functional ram air kind like i have now but i may add the flapper plate. since i have a bad back i'll have use an automatic, so i'll probably go with an aod-e and the tci computer so i can use the paddle shifter from www.twistmachine.com i'll have it powder coated flat or semi-flat black so it will be less conspicuous. the idea is to make it a sleeper from the outside so it will have to subtle. in fact i may actually end up selling the stang once it's done so i can build this car and use some as a down payment on a house.

Those look nice, but after years of aluminum, they look really heavy too!

Any reason why you didn't use Edelbrock's new heads?

And what is that coating around your valves in the combustion chamber?

Edelbrocks cost alot more and if you read anything on the internet about 351 clevelands you will learn that the edelbrock head is not the way to go. If i had the $1500 or $1300 to spend on heads alone i would have went with either "chi" heads or "afd" because there performance is very good for the same price as the edelCROCKs. Edelbrock is a little late to the game and did not come out with the best of products it seems for the cleveland.

The coating is something to help the oil flow better ontop of the heads. I'm not 100% sure on that heh heh.

Also "they" say that the australian heads are the best of both worlds. Closed chamber design of the 4v clevelands with the ports being the size of the 2v cleveland heads, which is better for street performance and low end torque etc. And yes they are heavy at 62lbs each. But you get good performance at a lower cost in my case. At almost half the price infact. Your results may vary ;P :)

My friend runs a built cleve in his 69, when my motor was just a 351W I could take him off the line and then he would run me down with those big 4V heads.

But he dares not play with me now...hehehe

I have heard of the aussie ones being good, just wasn't sure if the new edelcrocks were any good. They make decent heads for the W anyway.

One thing is for sure, he runs flowmaster 2 chambers with super comp headers, I'm not sure I have ever heard a better sounding exhaust / engine. His car always sounded better than mine...

I will get him on here someday soon. We redid his car over a few years and then a hit and run drunk driver totaled it in front of his house, then took off! The poor car is scheduled to go to the body shop this month I think.

Oh yeah, what cam are you going to run yours?

since we are on the topic of heads I have a question since I am about 3 days to having to make up my mind in which I am afraid I don't know enough to make this kind of decision. Wrong heads could really throw me off track here. I am looking for 180 cc Intake for my 347. So far Roush has been suggested to me any thoughts on a better choice for heads?

hey Ben, on the cam i would look at the XE262H you get about the same lift with a little less duration and a better lobe profile, the lobe ramp is more like a that of a roller cam. i know the specs are real close but you should get a better idle and possible better mileage with the XE262H and the same or better performance.

oh. well, in that case by all means use the 270h no need to spend the money for the other one since they are actually fairly close anyway. like i said the biggest advantages to the XE cam would be idle and posibly MPG, but even it gets 1 or 2 MPG better, it'll still take a good while to break even.