Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clay

1969 Mustang GT ID

I am new to your site.

I am looking at a barn find 1969 mustang GT ?? It needs a total restoration.

the door tag is 76A c 2G 04F B1 6 X

Do you know if there a way to ID a true GT?

Thanks

How do I know if my 69 Mustang is a true GT?

Well, unless you have the original or a copy of the sales invoice, or are one of the lucky ones to have been able to find your build (or broadcast) sheet somewhere in your car, the truthful answer is...you may NEVER know. There are, however, some things you can look for that would indicate the car may be a GT. Keep in mind, most of the components that made up the GT package were also included as standard equipment in the Mach I package or they could be ordered as options on non-GT cars. The GT components include the folowing:

Non-functional hood scoop with integrated turn signals

Pin style hood locks

Styled steel wheels in either argent or chrome with

stainless steel trim rings and GT center caps.

Heavy duty (competition) suspension, including a 7/8"

(351, 390) or 15/16" (428) front sway bar , heavy duty

front and rear springs, and heavy duty front and

rear shocks

Pop open gas cap with GT logo. The 69 GT gas cap is

unique in that it was the only year to incorporate the cog

or gear pattern around the GT logo (see picture below)

Dual exhaust with notched cutouts in the rear valance

and chrome tipped quad outlets with rolled ends

GT stripes running between the front and rear wheels

and across the bottom of the doors

E70-14 wide oval belted tires with raised white lettering

351-2V (H code), 351-4V (M code), 390-4V (S code),

428-4V (Q code) or 428-4V Ram Air (R code) engine.

Where can I find my build sheet or get a copy of my sales invoice?

The build sheet was not always left in the car when it left the factory. If yours was, the best places to look are under the seats between the seat springs and seat padding, under the carpet, inside the doors, wrapped around the wires behind the dash, under the trunk mat, or inside the headliner. In my 69 GT, the remnants of a copy were wrapped around the dash wiring and a copy was tucked under the driver's side seat springs (which is where I found copies in two other Mustangs also).

If your car was manufactured in Dearborn (F) or Metuchen (T), you can contact Lois Eminger and possibly obtain a copy of the sales invoice for your car. You must send a copy of the registration and/or title, as proof of ownership, together with a rubbing of the data plate, if possible, and a check or money order for $40 to:

Any chance that you can get a hold of the VIN #?

Have you seen this car? You know it's a convertible right? If it is a real GT grab it at any reasonable price, maybe even a slightly unreasonable one unless it's a total basket case.

BNickel is our resident GT expert, he shuld chime in but if not send him a PM.

Here's is what we can tell you about it so far, but that's about it:

Classic Mustang Decoder Results

Warranty Number: 9

Year: 9 1969

Plant:

Body Series:

Engine:

Unit:

Miscellaneous Vehicle Data

Body: 76A Convertible, Standard Interior

Color: C Black Jade Metallic

Trim: 2G Dk. Ivy Gold Vinyl and Dk. Ivy Gold Kiwi Vinyl, Standard Interior

Date: 04F June 04, 1969

D.S.O: B1 Central Canada

Axle: 6 3.00:1, Conventional

Trans: X FMX Automatic

what has already been said is the correct info with a couple of exceptions.

you can get a marti report from http://www.martiauto.com and it will tell you if your car is a true GT or not.

the one piece of info in the above statement is that the dual exhaust with quad tips was available on all GT's except those with the H code 351 2v which only got a single exhaust and standard valance.

depending on when the car was produced there is one tell tale tip that will help determine if the car is a true GT before you plunk down the change for the marti report, this not a foolproof way of determining the true identity of the car but is a pretty good sign.if the hood has an odd shaped semi oval hole stamped out in it under the scoop chances are really good it is factory GT.

i've seen this hood only on factory GT's and a few Mach 1's, the mach 1's were probably pulled from the assembly line as GT's at some point and converted to Mach 1's (not too hard to do) due to availability. i'll post a pic of the one year only GT gas cap in my gallery so you can compare.

good luck and i hope you do have a true GT, they're not extremely popular at the moment but the are gaining in that department and a nice one is starting to approach Mach 1 prices and in some cases even surpassing them.

oh yeah you MUST post pics ASAP. :D

My Mach 1 (H-code) has a "GT" marking of the buck tag. Does this mean anything special, or do all the Mach 1's have that? TIA, Max

that GT stamp on the bucktag is widely believed to mean that the car had the competition suspension. since it was standard on all GT's it seems appropriate that ford would use the GT designation to denote the competition suspension option

Sorry brotha but most Mach1 had that also

while that is true, not all of the machs got the competition suspension since the standard suspension for the mach was the heavy duty suspension and the competition suspension was an option. most boss 302's had the GT on the buck tag as well.

it is also believed by some that the the GT on the bucktag not only got you the competition suspension but also the GT hupcaps on the mach as well since there are factory mach 1's that were documented to have the GT hubcaps since new. either that or the assembly line workers were confused by the presence of the GT on the bucktag, or they just used what parts they had available.

WTF!!!!! This car is just a few miles from my house!!!! How the heck have I not seen it before. I can tell you one thing, I am going to see it at Lunch time! It does seem to need a bit of attention but usually worth it on a car like this. I'd say currently it is worth no more than 25k and probably around 45k when finished as an occasional driver.

Some stuff doesn't seem right but I can't say I mind all of it. You didn't have an option of the black out hood on the GT did you?

damn, 33 grand, reserve is not met and it needs a full resto.

i see your :shock: :shock:

and raise you :cry: :shock: :o

Hey B, if the bids are that high already then I obviously wouldn't stand a chance at getting it for less, but just for shits and giggles what do you think it would be worth if I were to use my car for all the parts it needs instead of restoring it?

Also, did you notice the air cleaner? Do you think someone just made use of the hole in the hood later or was this one of the few cars to leave the factory with the option activated?

someone just made use of the hole like i did. restored to a nice driver condition it's probably a 35K car, restored to concourse driven it might be a 45-50K car

BTW, checked the car out yesterday. Everything does look original untouched, even the whole interior. Good yes, but also everything needs replacing, all the rubber is dry rotted everywhere.

They also had a 65 T-Bird convertible a 440 Coronet and one wild 70 ???something land cruiser that was pretty shocking. I never expected such cars at my local Toyota dealer that's for sure.

Yeah, my Father in law sold his old 58 Square bird a few years ago after 15 slow years of restoration and bought a basket case 64 T-bird (ala Thelma and Louise) convertible last summer that he is knee deep into now, he hopes to have it road ready for the spring and fully done in a few years. Last time I stopped by he showed me his newest part, an original Fiberglass Tonneau to make it look like a 2 seater, he found it in an attic sale in Jersey and got it for like 25% of what it is worth, the car was a pile but it's going to be pretty frickin sharp when he's done.

Should look almost exactly like this when he's done: http://www.oxford.net/~twings/rr64tbc.htm

Except I think he is shooting gold under the red for a custom candy affect.

sweet. yeah, those sport roadster tonneaus are super expensive, an original one can easily sell for 3 grand or more, no kidding. how much did he actually pay for his? if he paid less than a grand for it he got it for a song

LOL, he got it for $400, came in original box with instructions and all the stainless trim and screws too. Guess he did OK then. Had some minor knicks and is a little dry but otherwise perfect. I just called and told him what it is worth after reading this and he told me that some guy he buys parts form wants to make a copy of it before he does anything to it to make replica's from for 10% of the take.

sweet. is it an original NOS ford cover or an older aftermarket cover? the ord ones are the ones that bring the big bucks, but all of them i have seen sell for that much are original to the car, not NOS in a box. no idea how much one of those would fetch, probably 5k or more