Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neil Bierman

Interior door color

Okay, quick question. Someone will know this right away (hopefully). 1969 Mustang, blue exterior, black STANDARD interior. As you know, with the standard interior, the bottom third (or so) of the door is painted. In my case, is the door painted blue or black?

In every case the correct color is Black. Many folks have repainted it body color when redoing their cars but that is incorrect.

Note: This area should also only be stripped to retain the texture of the panel, sanding or scraping will leave the old paint in the valleys and wear down the top surface.

Are we sure we are talking about the same thing? I'm talking about the bottom third of the door which doesn't have a texture, just smooth metal.

Well, I know what I am talking about, but I can't say for certain what you are talking about and wether or not it is in fact the same thing. Is this what you would call the bottom third?

lower_3rd_door.jpg

I am not sure how many prior owners your car has had or what you know about it's history but as I mentioned, it was not uncommon in the past for people to sand these areas prior to repainting, this leaves paint in the valleys and wears down the top surface so even with only one or two prior repaints in the past the section will appear to no longer have a texture to it as it is a mild one. This is not uncommon at all but there is supposed to be a texture and stripping the door properly might still reveal some hidden valleys even if the top surface has been worn down some.

As you have noted some folks have painted this body color, even their engine bays, so anything goes, it's your car, no one will care if it's smooth or not really. Heck in this picture you would be hard pressed to see any texture and this is a fine restoration.

If some how though I have misunderstood what you call the bottom third of the door then forget everything I have told you. 8)

I feel like I am going insane because I certainly do not doubt you. I know my car has texture on it, I know when I refinished it for the first time years ago I had several online discussions with folks who warned about properly stripping it because of that and I even had a discussion once about replacing only one door shell only and not having the old worn and new textures matching so I know I ain't making this shit up. It is very subtle and basically looks like large goose bumps but it sure ain't smooth. Are sure you can't at least feel it if you can't see it? I'll try to take an angled pic of it on Friday when I go to the body shop to show it.

So am I wrong about the bottom always being black then? Was that just for black interiors? I know body color is wrong but were some painted to match the interior color?

So am I wrong about the bottom always being black then? Was that just for black interiors? I know body color is wrong but were some painted to match the interior color?

I was under the impression that that bottom portion of the door was painted to match the interior at the factory. If the interior panels were black, then the bottom portion was painted black.

I only say this because I've seen "never restored original" (69) mustangs with red interiors (non-delux) where the bottom portion of the doors were red.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/stangmes-car/HPIM0084 here's a picture of my door which shows the same color as the interior, yes its still original and mine has no "goosebump" texture, its smooth. I wonder if that was a possible special order texture when your car was originally purchased? I also think that the lower doors were all painted the color of the interior because my buddies mach was black int. w/black on the door.