Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ltnrisk

Barracuda

Stock vs Stock doesn't mean a stock small block vs. a stock mopar big block. A stock 70 mach with a 351 cleveland 4 speed will beat a 340 or 360 mopar hands down, been there done that over and over. A stock cleveland will not beat a 440 though. Gotta compare apples to apples here. Also you have to consider the weight of the two vehicles, ratio of the transmission (and if it is a slush box or manual close ratio), and the gears in the rear. If the Mopar is lighter than the mustang, has a close ratio 4 speed, and have 4.11 gears in the rear and the mustang he is racing has a automatic trans and 2.80 gears then its obvious who will win. Just stating that any cuda will beat any mustang is simply not true due to varying motor sizes and other variables listed above. Not trying to argue and am not a die-hard Ford fan, just pointing out a few things. :wink:

Edit: Thought i would add another note. My neighbor owns a bone stock 69 boss 429 and races it at the local drag strip. There is a stock Hemi Cuda, Hemi Coronet, and multiple 454 Chevy Novas there and he has only lost once and that was to a GTO of all cars. I don't think i would race any car worth that much money at a drag strip. But thats what they are worth and blowing a Hemi or Boss 9 motor and replacing it is chump change to those guys :lol:

stock ford VS stock mopar = mopar wins every time.

I'm not sure I buy that. Are you saying that a stock mustang with 428 cubic inches of Super Cobra Jet Ford with drag pack and Ram Air is some kind of a dog or something?

I'll remind you of that infamous quote from one magazine in 68 that called it "the fastest running pure stock in the history of man."

I've whipped Vettes, GTO's, and even my buddies Challenger 440 6-pack car. How? A 427 stroker windsor motor which makes more torque (thats right, torque wins races and horsepower is for bragging) than the above AND weighs alot less than those big blocks.

Theres a distinction which must be drawn here. You have to pour thousands into the drive train of a ford to keep up with and surpass a STOCK mopar. Sure sure, you can turbo charge it, or even super charge it... but you're still racing against STOCK MOPAR, not modified.

stock ford VS stock mopar = mopar wins every time.

If you want to be fair about it, drop 10G into the mopar, then 10G into your ford, and see whos winning.

modified ford VS modified mopar?... I'll let you decide the winner.

Hell I almost bought a 73 cuda for $1500 and it was rust free and a decent paint job, but the block was left in the weather. I smartened up though and bought my 70 Mach 1 which is worth double what that Cuda is worth

Are you talking about a "barracuda" or a "cuda" ? (Theres a difference). When I watch car shows, the highly optioned 'Cudas sell for a helluva lot more than the highest optioned Mustang.

You can build any car to go fast. Hell, I had a friend in high school who had a tubbed out pinto that ate anything and everything alive. I'm talking stock vs stock here; not pintos with super chargers.

more importantly do you know the difference between a barracuda and 'cuda?

I think Rabid meant by Mopar will beat Ford that Grandma's Slant 6 will beat a Boss 429 every time. ;-)

Umm, wasn't the 427 S/C Cobra technically a Ford? It MIGHT be able to beat Granny's slant 6, unless she's on the nitro for her heart.

:lol: :lol: :shock: :D :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :P :P :shock: :lol:

what kills me is that the 68 1/2 cj isn't even on that list. that's just wrong. sure it was a factory race ca but it was still a pure stock car. just like a lightning or a thunderbolt
I was wondering same thing Where the hell is that car?And from all the Mustang Monthly Magazines they always have said the 1971 Boss 351 was the quickest Mustang

I think Rabid meant by Mopar will beat Ford that Grandma's Slant 6 will beat a Boss 429 every time. ;-)

Umm, wasn't the 427 S/C Cobra technically a Ford? It MIGHT be able to beat Granny's slant 6, unless she's on the nitro for her heart.

:lol: :lol: :shock: :D :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :P :P :shock: :lol:

Yes its the second car on the list i provided

not the "list", though the list does support it. I was just pointing out how vague "stock ford vs. stock mopar" sounded, hence Granny's Slant 6 Dart vs. the '67 427 Cobra

I wasn't comparing apples to oranges, ford V6s to mopar V8s, or granmas slant six.

I was talking equivilant stock VS stock... I Thought that was pretty clear.... Especially in context to modified cars. ie: any car, with the right amount of $$$ and mechanical skill can be made to grow wings.

If you all are honestly arguing that a 428 or a 429 (stock), whether boss or otherwise, will take on and surpass a 440 (stock), six pack hemi or otherwise... well, i'm not going to argue with your opinion.

As for me, if I see the most highly optioned stock ford and the most highly optioned stock mopar at the race track waiting for that light to pop green, I know who i'm putting my money on... every time :lol:

And i don't gamble. 8)

i'd argue that a 71 429 cj mustang would take just about any mopar other than maybe a hemi car. don't get me wrong here mopars are my second love but you way of thinking just doesn't make sense to me.

i have a nice example of stock vs stock for you, one is definitely a mopar and the other is considered to be in the mopar family but it's still a good example.

my best friend has an 86 dodge d-150 with a 360 with aluminum intake, 650 holley spreadbore, headers and 3" exhaust that turns down just past the cab, automatic trans and 3.73 gears. my DD is my 93 cherokee 4.0l inline six, automatic and 3.55 gears. we took them both to the local drag strip and i beat him best 2 out 3 with no 3rd run necessary. granted the times were not stellar 17.77 was best run for mine and 18.49 was his best run. we both had great traction since the first 100' of the track was VHT'ed and we both cut a pretty decent light

anyway just because it is a v8 mopar does not mean that it is automatically going to win.

So what we really need is some cold hard facts fella's. Lets see if we can dig something up on various stock* mopar vs ford races etc with documented proof? Kind of like put your money where your mouth is.

I thought the list i provided was Facts?? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Umm damn yeh i guess your right i had skipped over your post somehow. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)