Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elanor1969

Gain Horse Power

People I have known this for years but most of you maybe know aswell but myswell tell you

what do you think A/C and powersteering do to your car?

they make it lag and make you loss atleast 20hp if you disconnect then you could regain the 20hp and make your car faster i have done it to my grande and it goes better

thanks ray

An excellent old school tip, especially if you're out racing. With v-belt systems you can do quite well to use a short belt (or no belt) to skip the compressor or PS pump.

That said, on the street, I have to admit I like the benefits of a/c and ps more than the extra 20hp. But to make up for it, it is possible to get some of that power back with modern compressors and underdrive pulleys. In fact, I seem to recall that the old York compressors could easily eat 10-15hp on their own, but the modern Sanden I put on my Mach should eat no more than 5hp while compressing. This also makes me wonder if there are more efficient PS pump options too?

when i took me 69 stang down the track with a/c and power steer hooked up it went 13.9seconds now without them hooked it goes 13.1seconds pretty big difference to me plus id rather hang me hand out the window then have a/c :D

Pakrat and I have a new speed-sensitive climate control system if you want to go in on a group buy:

Image-AD1A037C7ABD11D9.jpg

There is no loss in power up until you get to freeway speed, and it greatly improves headroom. Temperature can be controlled with the right foot pedal - press down and the temperature goes down! If you feel a slight dampness, just turn the system off, though headroom will be affected in this case.

:mrgreen:

for years all the cars i've owned either didn't have ac or it was broken at least until i got my jeep, so hopefully the curse is broken. i did have to change the compressor on the jeep a couple of years ago but it was a piece of cake since it has the service valves like the stang uses, just closed off the valves on the lines swapped the compressor out and opened the valves back up and once again all was right with the world.

Pakrat and I have a new speed-sensitive climate control system if you want to go in on a group buy:

Image-AD1A037C7ABD11D9.jpg

There is no loss in power up until you get to freeway speed, and it greatly improves headroom. Temperature can be controlled with the right foot pedal - press down and the temperature goes down! If you feel a slight dampness, just turn the system off, though headroom will be affected in this case.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I originally invested in the 2x65 a/c, but then to many people moved into the seattle area and it is down to about 2x30 a/c, so I decided to upgrade to the new type of a/c that uses compressors when I want it, really learned to appreciate it in my work truck when I am stuck in traffic. 8)

I originally invested in the 2x65 a/c, but then to many people moved into the seattle area and it is down to about 2x30 a/c, so I decided to upgrade to the new type of a/c that uses compressors when I want it, really learned to appreciate it in my work truck when I am stuck in traffic. 8)

2x30? On I-5? Not during rush hour... more like 2xstop-go-stop-go-stop-go. Heck, for the 4 days a year we need a/c here in Seattle, it's almost not worth it. And now that winter is almost here, you might as well pull the belt on the compressor and see if you can hook it to the windshield wipers to speed 'em up. :mrgreen:

2x30? On I-5? Not during rush hour... more like 2xstop-go-stop-go-stop-go. Heck, for the 4 days a year we need a/c here in Seattle, it's almost not worth it. And now that winter is almost here, you might as well pull the belt on the compressor and see if you can hook it to the windshield wipers to speed 'em up. :mrgreen:

LMAO, yeah your right, I was thinking of the times I get to drive in the carpool and can get out of second gear. :lol: As far as the windshield wipers go, looking at an option to put a blower on the outside of the car and force highspeed heated air up over the windshield to aid the wipers, kinda like a drive through car wash.

Amen brother, Amen. I wouldn't have it any other way either. I think I personally have driven the car without climate control maybe twice in my life and once was because I got caught in a freak shower. There is another benefit to, this particular system some how eliminates all blind spots as well. Can your typical AC do that? me thinks not. 8)

109505_35_full.jpg

LMAO, yeah your right, I was thinking of the times I get to drive in the carpool and can get out of second gear. :lol: As far as the windshield wipers go, looking at an option to put a blower on the outside of the car and force highspeed heated air up over the windshield to aid the wipers, kinda like a drive through car wash.

If you really need a wiper improvement, you might check out the wiper motor swap my father did for my Mach. Check out the Junkyard engineering projects page on my site.