Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69blueragtop

Power Steering Control Valve

Help!! We have a 69 convertible with 351W engine, front disc & rear drum brakes, all original. Recently the power steering control valve sprung a major leak. I bought a reseal & rebuild kit, ended up replacing two white washers from inside the unit that were twisted up pretty bad. After it was back together & filled with new fluid, it didn't leak, but when we started the engine & moved the wheel a little bit, it started jerking back & forth, with the wheel whipping in alternating directions. Obviously not driveable until fixed - why is this happening & can we fix it, or is replacing the whole component our only option?

Possessed, no not at all. Fear not, this is actually a common thing that's an easy fix! You simply crossed the 2 small lines that go from the control valve to the cylinder, uncross them and your going to be just fine.

My car actually started bouncing! :wink:

had my hand between the spokes on the steering trying to start the car from the drivers seat with my head poking under look for leaks. OUCH, OUCH, OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that freaking hurt like a mother. forearm wasbruised for almost a month

Thanks you guys it worked!!

"Posessed" was the exact word used by my wife! And yes, she pretty much shook her head & walked away also, but she was just as glad as me to hear how easy the fix was. I had to finagle the top hydraulic line so it wouldn't catch the edge of the wheelwell, but it all fit together in the end.

We just put about 30 miles on it today, thanks to your help. Next project, replace brake rotors, pads, and fix the loose transmission shifter!

I was laughing when I read this, common problem indeed, bit me in the butt once before too. That will teach anyone to mark the hoses with tape before removal in the future for sure.

BTW, welcome and hope you stick around, we can always use a new vert owner ont he board. And next time, post some pictures woudl ya? 8)

I'll absolutely stick around, and I'll get pictures on as soon as I get a chance. We have a few, but not very good pictures - I can't be up-to-the-minute on the board, but I'll definitely stay involved. I'll give you all the story behind the car, too, before long.

I just found the time & figured out how to post an album - you can see pictures of the car at the album "69blueragtop". I won't bore you all with the technical pictures I take of parts worked on, only the good-looking pictures, unless you want it all. Let me know!