Sign in to follow this  
rwcstang

Protective radiator screens?

Wondering if there are any DIY ideas or pre-made radiator screens for our classics to protect it from rocks/bugs. I noticed my radiator is has some battle damage from driving, fortunately no leaks as of yet.

been thinking of doing my own, but wanted to see if anyone out there has done it and what pro's and cons (if any).

4 hours ago, Stevewr54 said:

Those dramatically limit the airflow through the radiator. Keep an eye on your temps. Steve

Hi @Stevewr54, Im curious, can you provide data to back that? 

After my Install, I have not seen any issues with airflow restriction/higher temps. my temps are steady depending on how hot it is (I live in the Bay area, ca), my temps will be around 190-200, which is normal for any engine temp and Im running a contour dual fan and at 190-195 degrees the single fan is on and turns off at 185, the second one turns around around 200 degrees and it only has done it twice, but that was because I was doing some spirited driving.

Assuming here, if you really get a very fine closed mesh screen then maybe it will cause issues but I highly doubt that. restriction of airflow can be anything from bad Timing/carb Tune, small radiator, not enough fins on the mech fan to pull enough air, bad fan clutch or no shroud or even you have too many coolers/accessories in the front blocking the main radiator or you have a terrible e-fan thats not pulling enough CFM too many variables imo. 

but I have had no issues with this mod.