kblagron

1970 Key Buzzer Wiring

I am installing an AAW wiring harness and getting close to finishing.  I can't figure out exactly how the key-in buzzer would be wired after reading quite a few posts on here.  I know that the buzzer uses the 3 prong door switch to switch power to it.  I am just not sure if the power comes from the door switch or from the column wire, and how it would be wired with an AAW harness.   

Midlife is the guy to ask about the OEM harnesses, and I'm sure he will be around shortly. Unfortunately you are changing to AAW, but he would know how it worked on the OEM system, and that will help. The 69 does not have a key buzzer, but in 70 they started to get serious about how ridiculously easy was was to steal one of these cars (literally less than 60 seconds- and I can show you the video). They moved the key to the column, incorporating a trans lock and apparently added the key buzzer. Since my 69 doesn't have it I wasn't even aware of its existence, but since its a brother car I will follow this with some interest. Good luck ;)

4 hours ago, kblagron said:

I am installing an AAW wiring harness and getting close to finishing.  I can't figure out exactly how the key-in buzzer would be wired after reading quite a few posts on here.  I know that the buzzer uses the 3 prong door switch to switch power to it.  I am just not sure if the power comes from the door switch or from the column wire, and how it would be wired with an AAW harness.   

Following the factory wiring schematic, the buzzer receives power from the driver side door jamb switches' red wire (3rd Wire) #158 when the door is opened, and ground from the ignition key (#159) when the key is inserted. Both events are needed to trigger the buzzer. The red wire also activates the convenience group seatback release actuators if you have that option for both seats. Wire #640 provides fused 12v when the the car is running.

1517817691_1970ConvienceGroupSystem.thumb.png.a0c9450395a4e113a06028b0966a1940.png

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to know.  I will double check everything with a voltmeter before I put it in operation.    I didn't think I would need a wiring diagram for my car since I was putting in an AAW wiring setup, but I guess I do.

Blake