Sign in to follow this  
Cantedvalve

Fold down latch brackets - help

My car was originally a fixed seat car.  I am converting to a fold down.  I had previously installed the fold down without the side latches... mainly because the latches didn’t line up, and I was using it as a fashionable rear seat delete - I didn’t plan on folding it up.  However, children need someplace to sit, so here we are.

The problem is that both laches miss the latch holes by about an inch - they are too high.  They are also probably too far towards the back of the car as well,  but I can’t be sure.  I originally thought that only the passenger side was off as it didn’t fit the trim panel (repops), while the driver side did... but both hit the seat at the same spot.  Here are some pictures to illustrate.

Driver side with trim panel. Latch fits through the hole, but barely.  It hits the rear and top of the hole.  Note you can’t see the screw holes on the face:

E977D6E9-8977-47A6-B717-7BF6D133DC9F.thumb.jpeg.4670e49dff2d2912d8317e4aa325b90e.jpeg

Passenger side, doesn’t fit the trim panel at all:

90301FED-4DA7-41D6-998A-F7CCF3E04C1F.thumb.jpeg.8e721cbdcabe3ff5dd3e4f4d9d83398c.jpeg

Without trim panels, with latches, with fold down.  Driver side:

FAECD2B4-5AB3-4037-B58D-40ACAB76DF78.thumb.jpeg.98033a94e320a5c119b988236aa33b84.jpeg

Passenger side:

895001F6-F2A0-4F1F-936C-962F1BAC84F6.thumb.jpeg.6ffebe99aa1e8cddfab5e1017adcd336.jpeg

So that is the issue I have. The good news is that both latch brackets are in the same position relative to each other an the seat. The bad news is that they are about an inch off with regard to the latch holes in the seat panel.  That appears to be too much to shim, particularly given how flat and perfect all the panels sat, and how the trap door was perfectly aligned and sitting perfectly.  Of secondary concern is making the trim panel fit, which also keeps me from wanting to shim because that doesn’t address the fact that the latches are too far backwards for the panels.

So, I am assuming that my only real option here is to cut, reposition, and weld the brackets.  Anyone feel different or see something I’ve missed?

Very true... they are aftermarket panels.  At the time I didn't care about the latches.  However, I think if I move the brackets then both the latch and panel problem will be resolved.

Have you seen this before where the brackets had to be moved?  I feel like I am trying to fix a problem that shouldn't be a problem.