stangs-R-me

Filler Neck Insert that will accept LEADED fuel nozzle ??

I posted this in the main Filler Neck Mods thread, but thought maybe it should be it's own thread ...

Was toying with an idea and let me know what you think.   I've figured out how to expand the nozzle opening of these UNLEADED FILLER NECK INSERTS slightly so it will accept a 15/16" / LEADED gas nozzle.  

There were a bunch of gear heads in our shop back in the 70's and when unleaded gas came out, they all went nuts.   First they were just punching out the whole unleaded insert and of course removing the CATS and usually adding dual exhaust as well.   They got wiser later and just massaged the unleaded opening just enough so it looked stock, but would take the slightly larger nozzle.   Two family cars (my '77 LTD Landau and my dad's '78 Country Squire) had full duals / no cats and the stealthy filler neck inserts that would accept the LEADED nozzle.   Anyway, reminiscing about that era I wondered if this would be desired today.  

From what i understand, LEADED gas is still available at race tracks and airports.   Anyone here actually use it from time to time where an insert that could accept the LEADED nozzle would be something you would want ??

I did two prototypes today ... carefully stretching the openings up from stock 0.906" to 0.953" ... see picture below. 

For the labor involved, would this option be worth an extra $10.00 ??

Let me know !!

Doug 

STD and OPT Inserts.JPG

1 hour ago, Brian Conway said:

Wouldn't using a funnel be simpler ?  

How would that be simpler ??

With a funnel in the filler neck how is the pump nozzle going in the funnel so you don't get gas everywhere ??

In a pinch it might be a solution, but who would want to do this every time you got to the track and you want to fill your tank up with RACE GAS.

Much easier if you could just slip the nozzle in the filler neck and through the insert like normal, set the lever for auto, and wait for the pump to shut off as if you were pumping unleaded in.

Have you read through the other thread ...

... so you know what this modification is all about ?? 

Doug