simplyj

Aftermarket heat/defrost system

For engine clearance reasons, I need to install an aftermarket heater/defrost system. It’s a convertible which will see mostly fair weather duty, so I don’t see the need to do an A/C conversion so will be sticking with a simple heater/defrost. 

Thinking about getting the Vintage Air gen II heater/defrost setup.  It’s designed for street rods so it’s compact and supposedly efficient for its size. I’ve read a few articles and posts from rodder forums, but was hoping to get some direct mustang experience/advice. I did a quick search but couldn’t find any posts on the subject.

has anyone installed this system or another aftermarket heat/defrost system they’d recommend?  Any advice would be appreciated 

138F2643-9A4E-44DC-998C-8181EDDCDFF5.jpeg

I just installed the Vintage Air Gen IV system that is designed for our Mustangs.  I would advise going that route, as to customize the Gen II generic system would be way too much work.   

You can check my restoration thread "1970 Mustang Convertible" and see some of the pictures I have posted.

Also interested in following your restoration, as there are not that many Convertibles, so looking forward to that!

Any other questions, PM me.  

Vic

Oh, right.  Not sure about the orientation of the unit you show in your picture.  It has to fit behind the glove compartment area on the passenger side.  You might want to contact Vintage Air to see if they can sell you just the controls and the blower/heater box without the A/C.  It gets rid of all the stuff in the engine compartment.