Sign in to follow this  
Rsanter

Conversion of 8.8 rear end

I wish I had better pictures but I will show you what I have.

this rear end was built for a friends track car which is a late model mustang but this applies to those of you that would put a 8.8 into a vintage ford

key issue is that on a track car having the axles held by a C clip, the ends of the axles got pounded/mushroomed.

we cut the axle end she off and welded 9" axles end on. We also took the original 28 spline Posi out and installed a 31 spline Posi and 3.73 gears. This requires the use of a fixture to be sure that everything is in line as it should be.

this means we now use 9" axles as in the ford world 31 spline is 31 spline as I bet they use the same equipment to make the new car axles as that made the 60s axles

we also welded the tubes to the center to prevent the blue welds from braking under heavy braking/acceleration.

the 8.8 center section seems to be a high quality cast steel so we preheated the area to over 240 degrees and it welded beautifully 

bob

IMG_2756.JPG

IMG_2757.JPG